Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Any ideas on atc/aviation authority differnces vs. the usa?

also... how is flight planning and flight ops done there? can't just file via fltplan.com

Very curious.

If anyone knows of any CE-650 or CE-500 positions, I sure would appreciate it.

To be honest with you I really don't know where to start. First forget everything you know about flying in the US FAA wise. I would highly recommend that you go to pprune and ask this question there in the Asia section. Until you fly there as I have you have no idea how different it is. Also check the NBAA international reports section.

First clue on how different it is, you will use HF for ATC in country. Gets worse from there.

DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A HANDLER!!! Are we clear? You have to pay the ATC and Airport fees in CASH. The handler in BOM literally had a brown paper bag with stacks of money to pay the fees.

I think they have VHF coverage over most of the country but little enroute radar. Have fun.TC

I must agree with AA717. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL. CARRY CASH. Last month we had two jets flying into India. We landed in Bihar and the government ATC came in and asked for Landing fees. The copilot pulled out his company credit card and the offical said they dont take credit cards only cash.
We had to walk to his office with cash. Talk about feeling like your walking into a bad situation. We paid 7,000 dollars.
What ever you do go in a group if possible. We have had guys who were robbed. (Dont put all your money in one pocket)

Don't get me wrong its bad, but just watch out.

C-5

I can't agree more with the other guys. You think we have a bureaucracy, just wait till you get there!! One more thing, don't plan on making any last minute destination changes.

I think they have VHF coverage over most of the country but little en-route radar. Have fun.TC

Hey AA, I'll admit it has been over a year and half since I have flown in India, but then they were still using HF over the interior. I was coming in from Singapore the last time. We would usually be on HF until we were only about 120 miles or so out of Bombay. Has it changed to VHF now?

Uh VHF is available in most places in india. The sit. there is changing rapidly. What's the big deal about using HF any way? With SECAL it is greatly simplified. Now you certainly cannot count on the controllers to give you all the niceties you'd receive in the good ole USA. You will actually have to think and plan, but overall not so bad.

Of course if you only go there once or twice a year take all the help you can get!

Uh VHF is available in most places in india. The sit. there is changing rapidly. What's the big deal about using HF any way? With SECAL it is greatly simplified. Now you certainly cannot count on the controllers to give you all the niceties you'd receive in the good ole USA. You will actually have to think and plan, but overall not so bad.

Of course if you only go there once or twice a year take all the help you can get!

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't really complaining, I've only used Bombay for tech stops. I usually plan to be on the ground for at least two hours, however, we have always been on the ground much less than that, last time less than an hour and the handler did all the filing for me, I never left the aircraft.

I was trying to impart the vast differences that there is between flying in the US compared to India, and the rest of the world outside Canada and Mexico for that matter to LAXpilot.

All of the controllers I have talked to in India speak excellent English and are very professional.

I worked off and on there for a good part of 2006 and I agree with everyone above. A handler is a MUST! Based out of Dehli we went to most of the larger cities- just getting a clearance is an adventure. Don't ever plan an arrival to Delhi from 21:00 to 02:00- you will hold in ways you were never prepared for....

Use Universal for plans... many of the routes are charted but off limits to us non-Air India types. Very odd.

I could write a book here- any specific other questions... let me know...

Happy Diwalli

Any ideas on atc/aviation authority differnces vs. the usa?

also... how is flight planning and flight ops done there? can't just file via fltplan.com

Very curious.

If anyone knows of any CE-650 or CE-500 positions, I sure would appreciate it.

Some doctor in Pune had a 650 on the way before I left, and I think a steel company ordered one a couple years ago.

You can forget about anything like internet flight planning or 1800 wxbrief, just doesnt exist there. Its still done on paper there, in triplicate, with different offices each stamping it.

It will be VHF over India, maybe at 30K' ft you will have good coverage but at around 20, there are still big holes. No such thing as an real handoff, ATC controllers would be a lot better if they used yahoo messenger at work to talk to other sectors :)

ATC and the aviation infrastructure first gives military the priority, the the airlines, then everyone else.

Dont pull out your camera around the airport, unless you know any guards. Somehow some SU-30 MKI takeoff videos appeared on my camcorder mysteriously. That probably could have landed me in Indian Prison. Cell phones not allowed in control towers.

Most navigation is still done via airways, GPS direct is still a foreign concept to some people there. Controllers, except for in Mumbai and other big cities, dont understand the concept of concise check-ins, and many dont understand sequencing aircraft for approaches, or even vectors to final

Latest resources

Back