Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetdriver69

High Speed, Low Drag
We tried to get into Iraq a few weeks ago and had to get a waiver letter from the FAA to comply with SFAR 77. Of course it is impossible to get the FAA to do anything on short notice, so we were forced to fly into EDDF and our pax had to airline into Iraq on Lufthansa. Has anyone had any luck getting this waiver? The restriction is only for US aircraft, so euro companies have an advantage while dealing with the Iraqis. Again the FAA doesn't care about the business aspect or the inconvenience to our passengers, only about our "safety".

Why the eff' would anyone wealthy enough to be flying on a bizjet want to go to Iraq right now?

We tried to get into Iraq a few weeks ago and had to get a waiver letter from the FAA to comply with SFAR 77. Of course it is impossible to get the FAA to do anything on short notice, so we were forced to fly into EDDF and our pax had to airline into Iraq on Lufthansa. Has anyone had any luck getting this waiver? The restriction is only for US aircraft, so euro companies have an advantage while dealing with the Iraqis. Again the FAA doesn't care about the business aspect or the inconvenience to our passengers, only about our "safety".

No luck here. We've been trying for the past couple of years and as far as I can tell, the FAA has yet to issue a waiver to anyone. We keep checking though. The waiver is probably nothing but false hope anyway. I don't foresee anyone getting in there until the FAA completely lifts SFAR 77. Keep checking though, it's only a matter of time before it's "business as usual" again.

Personally, I have an idealogical problem with SFAR 77. I can't see where the FAA feels it has the right to tell us where we can or cannot go outside of the US. To me, it's just another "Nanny" Law. The government's way of protecting me from my stupid self.:rolleyes:

Why the eff' would anyone wealthy enough to be flying on a bizjet want to go to Iraq right now?

What makes you think the guy who OWNS it is going there? lol...maybe his "people" who were told to get on the ground floor of any business growth.

That being said, I wouldn't do it!

EDDF sounds wonderful.

And I agree, who is the FAA to say where you can go in this world? thats should be between you, your crazy pilots, and your insurance company.

I know an account that goes to Kabul fairly frequently and was going to Baghdad until the feds pulled the plug on them. There is a lot of financial potential in those F'd up places for the investor/developer with capital and cojones.

What makes you think the guy who OWNS it is going there? lol...maybe his "people" who were told to get on the ground floor of any business growth.

That being said, I wouldn't do it!

EDDF sounds wonderful.

And I agree, who is the FAA to say where you can go in this world? thats should be between you, your crazy pilots, and your insurance company.

People are often afraid of what they don't understand.

A numer of times, we've had to fly into OKBK so that the principals (not peons) could charter into ORBI. Private aircraft are operating in and out of Bagdad every day these days. Besides, the safest place in that country is probably right there on that airport. Sure there's risk involved, but no more than when we fly into places like Jakarta or Angola.

Furthermore, before we even step foot into any of these places, our corporate security arrives weeks, if not months prior, to assess and evaluate the current risk and threat factor. If, for any reason they deem that place unsafe, we don't go.

One should probably tread lightly with their uneducated cynicism.

People are often afraid of what they don't understand.

A numer of times, we've had to fly into OKBK so that the principals (not peons) could charter into ORBI. Private aircraft are operating in and out of Bagdad every day these days. Besides, the safest place in that country is probably right there on that airport. Sure there's risk involved, but no more than when we fly into places like Jakarta or Angola.

Furthermore, before we even step foot into any of these places, our corporate security arrives weeks, if not months prior, to assess and evaluate the current risk and threat factor. If, for any reason they deem that place unsafe, we don't go.

One should probably tread lightly with their uneducated cynicism.

Uneducated? Oh, I have worked at places that looked into Afghanistan and Iraq, I know its not rocket science. Iraq and Afghan. were both pretty accessible with connections, even years ago. Iraq was more work, and only pax I knew that went in went on military organized "delegations"...and yeah, have spent enough time in Jakarta and Africa than I ever need to. Dont ever want to go back to either, but of course ya never know..

All I was implying is that I'm not doing it anymore. To me this business is not worth that crap. Please dont think you're the only wacky corporate pilot out there with all the insight on doing this $hit. LOL. Kuwait City and Baghdad are night and day to me -- Im not getting a cut of the risk/reward money that comes out of the deal in Baghdad, so I am happy to sit in the JW Marriott in Kuwait..I wouldn't take it personal and wouldn't be upset that some other smarter than me corporate pilot can do the Baghdad run. Cya in a few days (if they stay?)...But again, I also agree that the FAA shouldn't tell you what you can and cant do in Iraq.

Good luck getting company paid security to tell you its unsafe. They often dont have YOUR security at the top of their priority. Can we go to Baghdad? "Sure!"....thats all I need to know!..Have they ever told you that you CANT go somewhere? While we always stayed at the same places as the pax in the worst locations, there was always gaps, rides to the airport etc etc that made me think "this job sucks"...but whatever works for ya!....

Maybe I have gotten old, but I will take the garden spots, not the green zones.

:)

Last edited:
You might try to get in touch with someone in flight ops at Bechtel (sp?) They are in OAK I think. I was in school with a couple of their guys and they go there.

Latest resources

Back