• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Corporate CYA checklists

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My, my, my! Is someone jealous of the heavy-driver; a little DC-8 envy? Why don't you try being helpful instead of an ass? That is the attitude that screws other pilots and aids management's agenda.

Now go play nice with the other kids before you're sent to your room!!!

No, no envy whatsoever. I had my chance to fly a heavy airplane (DC-8, actually) international. No thanks. The bigger the airplane, the bigger the suitcase. I enjoy my job. I enjoy sleeping in my own bed 25 nights out of the month (or more). And I enjoy watching my kids grow up. It's all about quality of life for me, I could care less about seeing Brussels in the middle of the night. It looks like LA. Just a bunch of lights in the middle of the dark. It ain't for me.

However, I'd happily take a kid from some charter operator who was flying a King Air in my right seat versus some arrogant heavy driver that's owed something by the world. One is eager to learn the corporate environment, the other is set in their ways (alot of them anyway, those with "international experience in heavy airplanes") and b!tch about throwing bags in the middle of the winter on an icy ramp.

Just one guy's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. That and two dollars will buy you a cup of joe.

That's interesting Spooky. You are correct about the whole point....standardization. We are a Fortune 200 Part 91 corporate flight department and we use the AWARE briefing format. Never had any issues with it not being "adequate or meaningful", and it's what our training provider (yes FlightSafety) teaches. We do have and use a more detailed briefing form(developed in-house) when trips are flown with contract pilots and/or new hire pilots.

I am intersted in what briefing format you and your company use, as we continously evaluate industry best practices.

Thanks.

For what it’s worth and probably not much, here is a synopsis of the briefing we use where I work. Part 125/91 operation.

All Hands Briefing: This is dedicated to the FA’s for the most part. Happens to be that on our aircraft we always have at least two FA’s so this can be a definitive factor in the significance of this briefing, especially if we have more than just two and they are contract FA’s at that.

A). Aircraft status. Is everything working in the cabin that would affect your service? i.e., Sat Phones, Video, IFE, Galley Equipment, etc. In other words, is anything broken and deferred in the cabin that would effect your service.

W).Weather. Simple explanation of weather issues that would affect your service en route or at the destination, including pax handling at point of arrival.

E). Emergency situations. Reaffirm a rejected take off procedure regarding a remain
seated or evacuate the aircraft signal from the cockpit. Discuss various possible emergency procedures regarding smoke or electrical smoke in the cabin scenarios, or any other selected emergency topic. This is where the flight attendant would reaffirm that all emergency equipment has been checked.

Departure Briefing:

Something along these lines, and this is done while still in the chocks prior to engine start. As a matter of fact it’s the last item on our Before Start checklist.

• 0 to 80 I’ll reject for any reason.
  • 80 to V1, I’ll reject for any Master Warning light, such as engine failure, engine fire, loss of directional control, runway incursion or predictive windshear warning.
  • After V1, I’ll take it in to the air and it will become an in-flight Non-Normal.
  • I will focus on flying the aircraft and call for the appropriate Non-Normal checklist.
  • Depending on the circumstances we will either return to our departure airport, departure alternate or continue on to our destination.
  • Any Questions?

Takeoff Briefing:

HAS: Turn left 250, Climb and maintain 10,000, 250Kts until further advised. This briefing is verbalized as we are taking the runway after the takeoff clearance has been received. It simply reaffirms that we are on the same mental page as the aircraft becomes airborne.

These briefing models may or may not work for your operation. My point was that the canned AWARE briefing that FSI has rubber stamped for years now seems to be lacking in some areas. Just one guys opinion and if it works for you, and your flight operation, that’s what matters most.

Shegavemetheclap,

Trust me I don't think I'm some aviation god. I'm glad I got the oppurtunity to see some interesting places (most I never care to see again) prior to starting a family. But, I think we finally agree on something QOL and family is the most important thing. Thats why I'm buzzing around the skies in the RJ these days.
I started this thread to open my eyes to the corp. world and get some pointers prior to starting. Not to bash each other and see who has a bigger set.
For those of you who added some useful info. Thank you

Greasy,

The easiest thing is just to learn from those already involved in the operation you've been hired into. They'll show you whatever ropes you need to see, and they'll mold you into the kind of pilot they want. As long as you are willing to learn, you'll be in good shape. Good luck.

No, no envy whatsoever. I had my chance to fly a heavy airplane (DC-8, actually) international. No thanks. The bigger the airplane, the bigger the suitcase. I enjoy my job. I enjoy sleeping in my own bed 25 nights out of the month (or more). And I enjoy watching my kids grow up. It's all about quality of life for me, I could care less about seeing Brussels in the middle of the night. It looks like LA. Just a bunch of lights in the middle of the dark. It ain't for me.

However, I'd happily take a kid from some charter operator who was flying a King Air in my right seat versus some arrogant heavy driver that's owed something by the world. One is eager to learn the corporate environment, the other is set in their ways (alot of them anyway, those with "international experience in heavy airplanes") and b!tch about throwing bags in the middle of the winter on an icy ramp.

Just one guy's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. That and two dollars will buy you a cup of joe.

It's amazing how these corporate vs Part 121 arguments can grow out of no where. I thought this this thread was a quest for some knowledge on checklists or gouges for getting a new guy off on the right foot in corporate aviation, but it always seems to turn into an I'm better than you argument. I guess that's simply the nature of the beast on this board?

However, I'd happily take a in my right seat versus some arrogant heavy driver that's owed something by the world. One is eager to learn the corporate environment, the other is set in their ways (alot of them anyway, those with "international experience in heavy airplanes") and b!tch about throwing bags in the middle of the winter on an icy ramp.

Wow. You make negative assumptions on the guy's character based on preconceived generalities about 121 pilots, while totally disregarding the fact that a guy with quite a bit of experience in one arena, thought enough of the P91 industry, his new employer, and his coming job to SEEK ADVICE, you jackass. If that's the way you view folks who ask for advice and help, it's pretty easy seeing why you'd prefer to have a "kid from some charter operator who was flying a King Air" in your right seat.

I'd prefer to have a competent, interested, experienced professional, no matter his/her backkground.

You want a checklist?

Here goes:

1) Get a sense of humor.
2) See someone about your fragile ego. Your mates in your new job will make short work of your impressive four engine heavy jet time.
3) Make sure someone with a clue interacts with passengers, FBO staff and anyone else that may require some level of personal interaction. Your insecurity and inability to lighten up will dick things up if you don't.
4) Allow yourself to say "Well, we always did X at Y airline." only once per month. (you may consider never saying it, but given what I have seen so far, that is entirely too much to ask.)
5) Quit taking yourself so seriously.
6) Quit calling me "Captain". I fly corporate, not 121.
7) Don't forget to have fun. You may need to hire someone to follow you around and remind you of this.

Other than that, just remember that you really have no clue what you are doing for the first six months, so be humble and use that charming personality of yours to get your new co-workers to fill you in...

Last edited:
I'm glad your able to lable my personality of a couple of posts on a public forum. That's quite a skill you have.
Anyway, thanks for the checklist I'm going to laminate it and mount it on your wifes back and study it when..... well you know.

Thanks again,

You want a checklist?

Here goes:

1) Get a sense of humor.
2) See someone about your fragile ego. Your mates in your new job will make short work of your impressive four engine heavy jet time.
3) Make sure someone with a clue interacts with passengers, FBO staff and anyone else that may require some level of personal interaction. Your insecurity and inability to lighten up will dick things up if you don't.
4) Allow yourself to say "Well, we always did X at Y airline." only once per month. (you may consider never saying it, but given what I have seen so far, that is entirely too much to ask.)
7) Don't forget to have fun. You may need to hire someone to follow you around and remind you of this.

Other than that, just remember that you really have no clue what you are doing for the first six months, so be humble and use that charming personality of yours to get your new co-workers to fill you in...

You must be drunk, or.....your just a fuking dip******************** that knows nothing about aviation, much less the human condition. What a complete pitiful *********************************** you are. Get the ******************** of this thread you SOB.

You want a checklist?

Here goes:

1) Get a sense of humor.

What a complete ********************ing ***********************************. Do us all a favor and crawl back into your low life shell.

Latest resources

Back