Corporate aircraft performance vs. similar sized aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Just curious as to how these aircraft compare to other commercial aircraft of similar size.

Example: Most Gulfstreams/Canadiars/Falcons are not much larger than your average CRJ/ERJ... in fact I have difficulty telling the difference when they fly over my house here near IAD (however once I see the paint scheme it's easy to tell.) But it seems like the these aircraft outperform the the RJs in just about every area. Bigger engines? Bigger wing? or just having half the passengers makes it perform better?

Also, I just jumpseated on a CRJ 200 and was pretty impressed with all the EFIS going on in there. Similar setup in most corporate jets or do they have more?

Signed, a round dial "airline cousin" pilot

Compared to regional airliners, business jets tend to have better aerodynamics/wing design better thrust/weight ratios.

The best apples-to-apples example I can find is this: the CRJ-200 is basically a stretched Challenger 604. They've got the same engines and same thrust output, but the much shorter 604's max weight is about 10,000lb less.

The CRJs avionics (Collins Pro Line 4) were top-line when the CRJ-100 was introduced in the early 90s, but are now antiquated compared to current production business jets and even most single-engine piston aircraft.

Thanks Boiler, I was starting to think it was a dumb question.

We just started getting the Flat Panel displays on the 75/76, and everyone here is oohing and aahing... it's similar to what biz jets had in the early 90s. Some folks who have flown corporate just laugh and shake their heads.

Re: thrust/weight ratios and such... that's what I thought. Comparing the G650 to a CRJ700, for example.. they are both about the same size, but quite different in performance, although one wouldn't think so judging by their size similarity.

G650 is dimensionally similar but much heavier than any CRJ; its MTOW is 99,600lbs compared to the CRJ-700LR's MTOW of 77,000lbs and the 900LR's MTOW of 84,500lbs.

The best apples-to-apples example I can find is this: the CRJ-200 is basically a stretched Challenger 604. They've got the same engines and same thrust output, but the much shorter 604's max weight is about 10,000lb less.
The MTOW of the CRJ-200 is 58,200?

No, its 53,000lbs...its possible I the data I found online for the CL604 was incorrect.
It's a little more than possible you're incorrect.

Bottom line is simply because these airplanes may be close, dimensionally, they are not the same. It's like comparing a C-17 to a 777-200. They are both made by Boeing, weigh close to the same, but have a drastically different missions.

Wouldn't be the first time I was incorrect about something, and I can admit that.

I appreciate the gentle correction; after this stunning revelation that the CRL-200 and CL604 have drastically different missions I'm now quote certain their numerous design & system similarities are little more than mere coincidence.

Last edited:
aa73--I describe the G550 as "a 777 crammed into an airframe the size of a DC-9". (And, yes, for the anal retentive out there, I know it's a generalization...)

The 550 has all of the redundancies built into long haul twin airliners. APU will start up at altitude, it has an HDG (That's an HMG to everyone but AA pilots...) I just never felt exposed when doing a Pacific crossing due to all the redundancy.

TC

Latest resources

Back