• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cool Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing is not up for debate - that guy was WAY below the required viz for that approach.

Watch the video closely, and watch the approach lighting cues. The decision bar didn't even come into view until about 400 feet prior. Right as he crossing the 1st 200' light marker do you see the decision bar. Then crossing the runway, pause it right as he's crossing the threshold. You can just barely make out the 500' markers ahead. At best along any part of the approach he had 1,000 feet viz tops.

Photo of the view crossing the runway threshold:
http://www.bartnet.net/~jmt/user997/ack_mins.jpg

For you who are a bit rusty on the distance of the SSALR approach lighting system, below shows the distances along the system.
http://www.bartnet.net/~jmt/user997/ssalr.jpg

If I was Ryan Bert, I wouldn't be putting my name and date of incident on this video.

Jesus give the pilot a break, he stated in the notes that it was his first experience with a IMC approach to minimums.....

But the whole point is: You Don't Know!

Can you tell me how clean the windscreen was too?

The video is just for FUN!

Flying is supposed to be fun!

I don't think he made the video to prove anything.

I think we take ourselves a little too seriously sometimes.

mar said:
The video is just for FUN!

Flying is supposed to be fun!
Of course it's all about fun, until you got some pilot who continues an approach with half the visibility that he's required, and then ends up killing himself, his family, and maybe a couple people on the ground. Then I guess it turns a bit more serious, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

mar said:
The unprovoked criticism is really getting out of hand.

I would be very surprised if there was no adjustment after hand flying an ILS to mins.

Not to mention the pages and pages of Monday morning quarterbacking after SWA at Midway...

...give me a break. It's obvious who's been out there Doin' the Dew and who hasn't.

Yeah, but if you landed that far off centerline in the 747, wouldn't you have some of the gear going off of the concrete? :)

I have to agree with User. That wasn't even close to mins and is exactly how people get killed. It wasn't even legal Cat II wx if you ask me. Especially dangerous considering the guy says it's his first approach in IMC to mins. Low time, inexperienced pilot, squirrelly a/c type, and an approach to 600RVR or so, hmmm.

Just did that tonight at CMI. Crystal clear, can see the appch end (to the 1000' markers) and the departure end, but nothing in the middle due to dense ground fog. I aim for the #'s to touchdown around the 500' markers, planning to go below the VASI so as to touchdown before entering the fog bank. Well, I miss the 500' markers b/c I flared too early (even with the GPWS 10' increment call-outs)...the visual picture totally threw me, speeding toward a 30' wall of nothingness, and I touch down just as we entered the fog. Fwd vis was limited to 2 centerline stripes. It was a trip! As we slowed, we crossed an intersecting runway and our primary taxiway (runs straight into the FBO) without ever knowing it. We found the next taxiway, and taxied into less dense fog almost immediately (the tower could now see us) to which twr says "aw man, you just cost me a buck! I had my money on you guys coming off on your usual taxiway!"

It was a cool landing. We had the airport in sight 20 miles out, in the clear...we could see the departure end, crystal clear, but the middle 6K feet were completely obscured. Very interesting!

Whats a low time inexperienced pilot who has never shot an approach to mins doing flying an MU2 to begin with? He must not have insurance on that thing.

Exactly

SkyBoy1981 said:
Whats a low time inexperienced pilot who has never shot an approach to mins doing flying an MU2 to begin with? He must not have insurance on that thing.

This is exactly the point.

You don't even know that the guy who made and submitted the video is the same guy flying the plane.

If you don't know that then what else don't you know.

It was an interesting little video and that's all. I certainly wouldn't draw any more conclusions that that.

Criticize all you want! We should, too. Just make sure you have shark-skin and can take the criticism when we evaluate YOUR video.
Good posting. I'll use the video in some training that I teach.

Latest resources

Back