Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

re: My FO

I know a guy who also gets upset with this. I don't get it.
I say "My FO" and "My Airplane." When I'm the FO on the flight (we sometimes fly as Capts and FOs both), I call the other guy "My Capt" and also call it "My Airplane."

Of course, I don't "own" the FO, the Airplane, or the Captain. I feel like we should stick together (the Capt, FO and the Plane-I'm not grown up enough yet to have FAs). So, I like saying "My..." to differentiate us from other crewmembers and airplanes wherever I'm at.

I try my best to take care of "My Captain", "My FO" and "My Airplane" (as well as "My Airline").

Make a great day for yourself!

Cliff
YIP

PS-I've gotten in trouble (by a non-relative) for saying "The Wife." This person told me I should say "My Wife," because "The Wife" means it's an object and not a person. My wife actually thinks it's funny when I say "The Wife", because she really knows it's "The Husband".

Last edited:
atpcliff said:
I know a guy who also gets upset with this. I don't get it.
I say "My FO" and "My Airplane." When I'm the FO on the flight (we sometimes fly as Capts and FOs both), I call the other guy "My Capt" and also call it "My Airplane."
This must be an airline thing. Egos are amazing things and we all have them. I've been flying corporate for over 25 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've heard corporate crews refer to themselves as "Captain". (Excluding the times when we are operating internationally - basically Latin America and 3rd world countries - and are essentially required to do it.) I have seen a few exceptions though and they were doozies. If you run into one of those guys in the corporate world you can expect to be in for a few other "treats" as well. For the most part, when talking about themselves to each other, it's usually just "the guy I fly with".

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
For the most part, when talking about themselves to each other, it's usually just "the guy I fly with".

That's too long of a phrase, and not at all convenient to say at times. I just use "my partner". Of course, with the more homophobic guys, it really freaks them out when I say that in public.....but that's all part of the fun in aviation. :D

FracCapt said:
That's too long of a phrase, and not at all convenient to say at times. I just use "my partner". Of course, with the more homophobic guys, it really freaks them out when I say that in public.....but that's all part of the fun in aviation. :D

I used the "my partner" line when talking to some friends in front of my wife. She laughed and said it was about time that I admitted I was married to two people :laugh: . My work-wife! I've also used the "buddy" term before - only if I really do like the person.

As for what you said Sled, the guy I flew with who introduced himself as Captain ____, had so many other issues, I chose that one to pick on him about. Except to rib him about the girl who smiled at him as we walked back to our car off Hollywood Blvd - "Dude, of course she smiled at you - she's a hooker!"

Lead Sled said:
This must be an airline thing. Egos are amazing things and we all have them. I've been flying corporate for over 25 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've heard corporate crews refer to themselves as "Captain".

On the contrary I think it is an upbringing thing. I was raised to always address someone as "sir" or "ma'am". If a guy is a Doctor or Captain you address by title. Military personnel also are addressed by rank. Just the way I was brought up...

I don't take myself too seriously (which has actually gotten me in trouble before--I guess I am supposed to be an obstinate prick to wear four stripes or something), but I always respect others and their position(s).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back