Control Surfaces, How Big?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lahso said:
I still would not even attempt to build a manned plane. Think about it.
reputable kits are not too bad. scratch built takes time, craftsmanship and muy grande huevos to fly.

I graduated with a BS in aeronautical engineering and wouldn't even consider building a plane from scratch without some SERIOUSLY COMPETENT assistance. In fact, one of my aerospace professors in school built a kit (homebuilt) and ended up never flying it. His comment was that when you build a plane yourself you have to have the confidence to fly it that first time and after glueing and warping all that stuff, he didn't. Now, that being said, I'm sure lots of people that don't know better probably did have the confidence. Definitely a case of what you don't know can hurt you, or the 'pilot' in this case who is considering getting his test pilot spurs.

You guys are interfering with the natural selection process and a future winner of the Darwin Award. Just hope they don't breed before the process completes itself.

Last edited:
Draginass said:
You guys are interfering with the natural selection process and a future winner of the Darwin Award. Just hope they don't breed before the process completes itself.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not THAT was a direct hit!

Draginass said:
Easy there draginass... not all fit in this category. But you are right in a way. It's a lot like trying to overthrow a government. You win, you're a hero for the day. Loose, you'll probably end up a dead "idiot".

I've test flown three. All unmodified kits. I knew the builders and saw the construction. With the more popular kits (proven one's like RV's), it's not too tricky. Actually, with the 2nd & 3rd, I was not very nervous at all. Makes the process more safe, IMO, when you can operate with a reasonably low level of anxiety. Just stick to the plan and don't get too far out on the limb (i.e., far from flat ground)! The Nomex, helmet and chute aren't a bad idea either.

I'm waiting to hear what happens when an FAA tower controller is asked if an unliscenced, uninspected homebuilt acft can use a runway under his control. First phone call is to the fire dept, second call is to the FSDO, third to airport security.

...takes time, craftsmanship and muy grande huevos to fly.

S'cuse me..

Aren't huevos 'eggs'?

"Sorry son, you're not woman enough to fly this bird..."

;)

How can you expect to get an answer in terms of L x W, when you didn't state the size, weight, type, and construction of the airplane in mind?

How about 2ft by 2ft, that ought to work!

Some other questions of my own,

Is a PPL similar to a degree in aeronautical engineering?

Has anyone thought about what kind of airfoil you will use? (or were you just gonna guess on that one?)

Are you all on crack?

Latest resources

Back