Control Surfaces, How Big?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I'm building a manned plane for a project, but I can't figure out how big the control surfaces have to be.

There will be ailerons, elevators, and a rudder but no flaps.

Does anybody know how big these have to be,as in length and width?

No offense, but you are building a "manned plane" for a project and have no idea how to calculate how big these surfaces should be?

Who is going to be the test pilot??? I hope you are paying him a LOT of money! (Like $100,000,000.00+)

why would a ding dong post that?

Must be a terrorist looking to build a terror plane. Maybe he should call that poberezny guy. He'd know.

Yeah, it's for a college class project and the guy who is going to fly it is spending his money to help us build it. There are 8 of us including the guy flying, and none of us know how to make the control surfaces.

The flight itself seems pretty easy to us. We are going to ask the tower to block off the runway and he will take off, climb a few dozen feet and then land back on the runway. Most of us have our PPLs and it doesn't seem that hard.

Or will it be :)

contact the EAA...they will help you.

If you're here asking how to build a dude made plane, you're in the wrong place. Contact the EAA. They do that stuff.

Delta3 said:
Most of us have our PPLs and it doesn't seem that hard.

Or will it be :)

Can I have the name of the pilot???

I'd like to buy him a nice big life insurance policy! (with me being the beneficiary of course!)

This a real project, or just a design project? :confused:

Gotta agree with some of the other comments here... you sure seem a little lean on the basics to be tearing into an actual project. You an undergrad Aero Engr student? You have any text references? If not, there are all kinds of good internet references. You want a good book, start with Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, Airplane Design & A Practical Guide to Airplane Performance and Design By Donald R. Crawford, Bede on Design By Jim Bede. Last, borrow some ratios and dims from something that already works. :D

Make them large enough to control the airplane, yet small enough to be able to sweep up after the crash.

Control Surfaces? You don't need no stinking control surfaces!!!

I've spent a lot of time studying and learning the physics of flight, etc, including much of the math and calculations for various parts of the airfoils. I am also very handy with tools, machine work, welding, riveting, etc. I still would not even attempt to build a manned plane. Think about it.

Latest resources

Back