Contract Training and G-Nav School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AbOvo

When you guys are flying contract on one aircraft are you generally paid during training whether it be recurrent, medical, or otherwise?

Oh and any suggestions for global nav schools, not looking for just a pencil whip, I'm looking for actual learning. It's been over 10 years since I was in a global nav class.

When you guys are flying contract on one aircraft are you generally paid during training whether it be recurrent, medical, or otherwise?

When you fly "contract" you only get paid for the days you fly. When you're at training its usually your own expense, so why would anyone be paying you?
Don't really get the question...........whats "medical or otherwise"?

Oh and any suggestions for global nav schools, not looking for just a pencil whip, I'm looking for actual learning. It's been over 10 years since I was in a global nav class.

You paying for that training yourself or is it a company you're with?
My friend got hired to fly a Global Express in January this year and he had never been across the Pacific or Atlantic before, not to mention he only had 300 hours in fixed wing jet aircraft, 80 of which was on the Global. Pretty lucky guy.

But he had to sit through a 5 day school with an instructor that the company hired because every flight they do is Atlantic crossings to Europe and he didn't know what a plotting chart was. I can ask who they used for the International Training, it was a company where they got this guy from.

My friend said it was the best training he could have asked for. I think it was like $400 a day that the guy got paid.

Last edited:
When you fly "contract" you only get paid for the days you fly. When you're at training its usually your own expense, so why would anyone be paying you?
Don't really get the question...........whats "medical or otherwise"?

Ok I work as a 1099 contractor for one aircraft and am paid a daily rate when flying trips. The medical training is through MedAire and paid by the operator. I could hold myself out as an available contract pilot with experience in X, Y, & Z aircraft. If I was a true contract pilot paying for the training myself the point would be moot, training would be a business expense for my LLC.

You paying for that training yourself or is it a company you're with?
My friend got hired to fly a Global Express in January this year and he had never been across the Pacific or Atlantic before, not to mention he only had 300 hours in fixed wing jet aircraft, 80 of which was on the Global. Pretty lucky guy.

But he had to sit through a 5 day school with an instructor that the company hired because every flight they do is Atlantic crossings to Europe and he didn't know what a plotting chart was. I can ask who they used for the International Training, it was a company where they got this guy from.

My friend said it was the best training he could have asked for. I think it was like $400 a day that the guy got paid.

The G-Nav classes can be done through FlightSafety but there are other options. I am curious as to what other companies are available to do the training. Especially if there are any in Southern California. No I am not paying for the class myself.

Ok I work as a 1099 contractor for one aircraft and am paid a daily rate when flying trips. The medical training is through MedAire and paid by the operator. I could hold myself out as an available contract pilot with experience in X, Y, & Z aircraft. If I was a true contract pilot paying for the training myself the point would be moot, training would be a business expense for my LLC.

Oh, I see. Companies vary, if you're not on a salary then maybe you should work out a reduced daily rate/per diem while in school.

I know one guy that flys a Challenger and a Lear 60 as a full-time contract pilot only, for a 135 charter company. The charter company pays for his recurrents on both aircraft, but I know he definitely does not get paid anything while he's in school. They pay for his airline ticket, training, hotel and food. No pay. Recurrents are only 3-4 days, so that probably why. Its pretty nice of them that they pay for his recurrents, thats almost non-existant anymore for a contract guy.

Unless you have a seperate rate for training or standby most companies don't pay day rate for training. Expenses and training fees are usualy it. And I haven't heard it called Global Nav since college but Dave Stohr is usualy recognized as the guru of International Procedures training.

http://trainati.com/ifot.php

I haven't been to his initial but his seminars at the IOC and Safety Standdowns are excellent.

Not necessarily. It's all about what you negotiate.

A few years ago, I was a full-time contract pilot. The owners of a Cheyenne approached me about flying their plane. I had never flown a Cheyenne, so I had to attend a five day initial.

They paid for both the cost of the initial and they paid my daily rate while I was in school.

I have had several other clients pay for recurrent schooling as well.

U

Thank you guys for the input, I appreciate hearing from the different perspectives and experiences. It looks like most companies are calling it "International Operations Training" these days. Maybe that amplifies the fact that it is more than just navigation training.

Latest resources

Back