• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Contract Military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As former military, I can tell you that there are all kinds of civilian aviation outfits contracted to do military support. I've flown on some crazy military missions around the World and have always been surprised to find a few civ pilots in a strange plane in the mix of all the military hardware. Most of these companies are low-key and don't usually send HR folks to the job fairs. You learn about them from meeting people on the inside.

When military ops pick up so do the civ contract jobs. Jobs involve everything from aerial surveilance to hauling chickens.

Check out: http://www.airscan.com

Timp

Civilian pilots in the military, are they treated differently?
Lest getting a certain looks from those military pilots...and being look down as by some or so?
Are they treated equally or are the military pilots given certain advantages over them?

Last edited:
Vicar

Although these contract pilots fly in support of some mil/gov operations they usually don't participate in joint or attack missions. Most often they get in on the "transport" and "aerial survey" missions. Also, they usually don't interact directly with the military pilots. They'll get their orders from the government to "be here" and "go there." Somestimes buildings and runway space is shared, and sometimes not.

As far as respect from the mil guys, I've never seen any problems. Military pilots are great guys and usually always treat civilian pilots with respect.

One other thing I've noticed with these contract pilots. They often, if not in most cases, have mil aviation backrounds. These companies like to hire the ex-mil guys because they know they can deal with the sometimes "crappy" living conditions and food in the "third-world" countries.

Timp

Vicar,

You might want to try out Flight International out of Newport News, VA. They fly Lears towing targets for the Navy and some "Klingon Cloaking device" cat and mouse missions for the USAF. I used to do it 11 years ago and had a blast. Pheniox Air did take over alot of Flight Internationals contracts but FI is still doing it. Funnest Flying I have done. It even beats churnin and burnin checks in the Lears. Good Luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

Latest resources

Back