• Start date
  • Watchers 10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't disagree with what you've posted, my point (and ONLY point) is that there are weak pilots found in nearly every facet of aviation. I've flown with corporate pilots that I consider to be great sticks, I've flown with corporate pilots that I wouldn't want to live under the flight path of, let alone fly with. I've also flown with a 767 captain that quite literally couldn't file a flight plan, and I trained a 777 captain in the T-bird that was a true pleasure to fly with, and someone that I learned a great deal from. Professionalism is an individual attitude, and if you know how to bottle that and market it, let me know where to buy stock.

Great post ... now let's go fishing! :beer:

I know I get a little soapboxish on this subject, but if were sitting down having a beer I could tell you some stories!

I'll answer you question with a question.

Q. What does an 80 year old woman's VJay Jay smell like?

A. Depends

Are you gonna divert from FL410 for an inop position light at night into a 5000ft uncontrolled strip?

This is why when you are given the title of Captain you are expected to use the judgment necessary to get your passengers safely to their destination. Some aircraft have a coffee pot that is not on the MEL (an oversight for sure). But "legally" you could not dispatch with it inop. As an airline pilot you could undoubtedly get away with this. As a corporate pilot I think you would be looking for employment more suitable to your reasoning skills.

Now if you want to give us the specifics of your problem, perhaps we could answer them. But we also need context. Like are you flying across the Atlantic in the tracks (in that case descending is not an attractive option, and diverting can be more hazardous than continuing with a broken strap on an O2 mask for instance).

I quit flying to keep the lawyers happy a while ago. I fly to get myself and my passengers safely home every night.

One of the only useful college courses I ever took was statistics. Life is all about probabilities and odds. Once you realize that you are the risk manager (and I dislike that term) it should become clear that your job is to take the action that causes the least amount of risk to your passengers and multi million dollar aircraft. That won't always be the solution called for in the MEL.

Good luck to all

Well its easy to be so professional when you don't do anything (ie: airline pilots)...

It's very, very rare to find an airline pilot that can keep up with the corporate pilot routine. If you don't believe me ask some of the other flight departments that do not hire airline pilots.

Surely this will stir up enough to keep the posts coming

GMAFB!!!

Great post ... now let's go fishing! :beer:

I know I get a little soapboxish on this subject, but if were sitting down having a beer I could tell you some stories!

Get up here! The browns are rising, hoppers and copper johns are hot on the Madison and Gallatin, along with golden stone flies. The Jefferson...well, the Jefferson pretty well sucks year around. You can even use my wife's fly rod (don't worry, it's a killer Redington w/ a Ross on it...very nice setup). Water temps are down, and water levels are dropping now that harvest is on...it's gonna be good next week!

You are making me jeolous!

I was up last June during the melt. The lake fishing was OK, but the rivers were still swamped.

Lets assume that it is not addressed in either the Emergency or Abnormal checklist.

I'd press on, fly at the lower altitude, and give the DOM a call on the flight phone so they can have the situation handled when you land.

Safe and legal all at the same time.

Simple. Done!

Next question?

I'd press on, fly at the lower altitude, and give the DOM a call on the flight phone so they can have the situation handled when you land.

Safe and legal all at the same time.

Simple. Done!

Next question?

OK, I probably didn't make the scenario specific enough in the first place, which leaves too much gray area. So I'll be modify my scenario with some more specifics. Lets make the aircraft a Hawker, flying from the east coast to the west coast. The malfunction is a flight deck heat valve that won't open. This isn't addressed in the abnormal or emergency procedures. I believe the MEL allows the aircraft to be flown, but below FL250. At FL250, you don't have enough fuel to make the trip nonstop, which is what the CEO in the back is expecting. The flight deck heat valve also serves as an emergency pressurization source and is opened as a memory item on the emergency checklist. As long as you don't have an HP Air Overheat light, or some other pressurization emergency, no problem (other than the pilots cold feet!).

Ok, here you go..

1. You're now operationally restricted to 250, so you descend.

2. You have already looked at the MEL, so you know what will be needed to be done when you land at the fuel stop in order to continue.

3. You've chosen an appropriate airport for a fuel stop....ie, maintenance if needed, far enough down-range to make landing weight, etc.

4. You've called your DOM on the flight phone to arrange the item to be MEL'd...if needed.

5. You've gone back and explained all this to the boss and given him the options that are available...continue to fuel stop or turn around and go home. You've previously determined if you'll make landing weight if you go home.

That's it.

Next question please.

Oh, since this little scenario is now concluded, why don't you tell us all what YOU did!

Last edited:
Oh, since this little scenario is now concluded, why don't you tell us all what YOU did!

Ultra, since I wasn't on the airplane, I'd rather not say what they did. But my first response was similar to yours. And then when the discussion of the MEL happened, there were differing opinions on when and if any restrictions contained in the MEL were applicable during the continuation of the flight. Yes, I agree that it probably makes sense to comply with the restrictions, but are you violating any FAR's (obviously the careless and reckless one could be thrown at this pretty easily) by continuing? I've talked to some ex-airline guys and they said that their company policy was that there wasn't anything in the MEL that their company considered mandatory until after you land (with a discrepancy, of course).

So I guess after all that, I think the answer to my original question is that while it's probably not smart to continue at altitude in this scenario, no FAR is being violated. Anyone disagree???

OK, I'm done now. Think I'll go mow my lawn.

Latest resources

Back