• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continued US Airways Folly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA clearly is run by main line guys and most decisions are made only for the mainline guy's benefit.
Floyd it is not like the ASA and Comair pilots did not try to tell you this before your vote.

Last edited:
Adding .02 to this discussion...

The contract carriers who fly the jets for Airways are not ALL ALPA carriers, secondly Johnathon Orienstien of MESA I have heard is trying to start a new non-union carrier under a new certifiacte for the use of Mesa's RJ's that are still on order.
From the little that I have gathered from Mesa (and being former Mesa, it all "sounds" like something they would do)
America West, where most of the larger RJ were going (-700 and '900) really cannot support the jets either and now those guys want a crack at those new jet's too.

Hence Mesa is or was considering a non-union carrier to support Wolf's idea to get more RJ's on the property, circumventing ALPA carrier's.

How true is this? I could not tell you but it has been the buzz around Mesa for a little while. Maybe a Mesa guy can either confirm or deny this "rumor" of Freedom Air ( I think that is the name) of the non-union carrier for the Airways RJ's...

I also thought I heard ALPA told Airways to take a hike and countered with a cap of 289 (or something similar) RJ's doing ANY work for Airways's.

This rumor was supposedly to "sweeten" the offer to ALPA as it was not directly screwing the USX ALPA carriers.

Last edited:
Although I dont work for Mesa, I did read an email from their main recruiter which stated that Freedom Air will be formed to fly the 70 and 90 seat RJ's. It will be staffed with Mesa pilots who will take a leave of absence from the company. They will be non union (hence the reason fror the LOA). She also said that they were trying to get it completed ASAP before AWA pilot group could stop it. Additionally, I just read about a major recall of some of their furloughed pilots, so things are starting to happen over their. Times are deffinitely changing.

If the Freedom thing ever gets off the ground (which I dont think it will) It Will only be for the AMW side. And will have nothing to do with the Airways side.

I can't wait to see those arrogant bastards at Airways get what is coming to them. These geniuses seem to think that people are dying to fly on their jets.... and that anyone out there is stupid enough to want to be an Airways pilot.

As if Airways is the holy grail! Ha! What a pathetic joke.

Jetscream32 said:
I say welcome aboard. Just as long as they go on the bottom of the list. Seniority rights come with the COMPANY you work for. If I have to start out on the bottom of their list they have to start on the bottom of mine! The kind of greed and arrogance exhibited by the majority of the mainline pilots is going to be the downfall of USairways.

The only problem with your scenario is that the furloughed AAA pilots will have their OWN seniority list. Read both posts - US Airways Folly AND US Airways Folly Continued. They will have EXCLUSIVE rights to fly the donated small jets until they get recalled to US Airways. If you look at the prospects for US Airways, they might never get recalled. This means that when the contract at the regional comes up, there is nothing to stop the former AAA guys from cutting their own deal.

Think about it.

Just say no.

Wish I had shorted the stock when it was $25 a share. I'd invite you guys to my beach house!

Wow, they aren't even giving the Regional guys a reach around. They think they can go in and just give themselves jobs at their regional affiliates? They don't even offer anything to the express pilot groups in return for this flow back. At least at AA, the number of flow backs is limited to the number of flow throughs. I don't know why anyone would want to flow through to airways anyway... This is definitely the USAir pilot group positioning themselves to take other peoples jobs before their carrier goes belly up. If only everyone would have seen the wisdom of onelist sooner... Hopefully the express carriers are to smart to allow this, and they will let everyone else reap what they sow.

FlyinBrian said:
At least at AA, the number of flow backs is limited to the number of flow throughs.

This is not true. Letter 3 (flow-through letter) at American Eagle has no such limit in it. The only limit to flow-backs are:

1. The amount of Captain RJ's positions minus the "Eagle Rights" Captains.

2. The flow-back pilots AA seniority # has to be senior to that of the RJ Captain being displaced.

3. The flow-back pilot must meet Eagle's minimum Captain flight time of 3000 hrs.

Latest resources

Back