• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental's Fleet Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There were a couple guys before the slow down that only had internal recs from 1 month in training new hires... all in the timing.

Right now, it probably does take an act of congress. Something like re-regulation. I wouldn't call this a "slow down" of interviews. I think it's a stop of interviews, for the rest of the 2008 is what I'm hearing. As for the system bid not coming out in the next couple of weeks, why wouldn't it?

Believe it when you see it. The system bid has been postponed.

They have stopped interviewing.

As for the postponement ( sp ) of the bid......could this be to formulate a new plan as a result of the 'not to merge ' decision?

......... As for the system bid not coming out in the next couple of weeks, why wouldn't it?

Probably waiting to see what the 'ell happens with oil prices and the economy. Things are a bit too uncertain/unknown right now to come up with a plan. It seems smart to wait as long as possible so that there aren't any wasted training cycles. Since the last bid was in Jan., the longest they can wait is July.

Kellner told one of our pilots yesterday that the latest plan (probably changed 25 times by now) is to park 52 classic 737's in the fall. Take that with a grain of salt but it does coincide with statements made during last month's earnings conference call. That would create one hell of a training cycle if they don't leave the 737's fat on staffing. So why put a bid out this month, start some of the training created by it, and then maybe change it again if oil prices drop or somebody finds a genie in a bottle that can gift us our own personal refinery.

Last edited:
Good response SuperFLUF. They haven't done a lot with the Jan system bid anyway, at least as far as I can tell. They could either do what you are saying or get one out now, get another one out say late summer and another one out next January, which was what is out there on the Apr 28 bid results. Either way, here's hoping for early payouts to the senior guys to help get them towards retirement quicker.

There has to be a system bid at least once every 8 months and at least 2 per calender year. The latest the next bid can be out is September.

There has to be a system bid at least once every 8 months and at least 2 per calender year. The latest the next bid can be out is September.

You're right, 8 months. I was going by (bad) memory.

I highly doubt they will offer enough of an incentive to increase the retirement numbers.

Right now it seems the retirements are mostly driven by what the interest rate is doing in relation to the pension. I had 11 (wow 11 :rolleyes:) go out senior to me this month. I'm guessing we may see another "big" wave in November before the next pension lump sum reset.

They are currently looking at the ATA aircraft, but they do want Boeing to spend the money to do the galleys and interior. Big problem is that there are no Continental seats to be had. Lead time is about 14 months for new seats. Will see how they work around that one.

I'm guessing we may see another "big" wave in November before the next pension lump sum reset.

Ya gotta think bigger than that.........how about furloughs of the age 60+ guys first???!!!!!

:beer:

They are currently looking at the ATA aircraft, but they do want Boeing to spend the money to do the galleys and interior. Big problem is that there are no Continental seats to be had. Lead time is about 14 months for new seats. Will see how they work around that one.

Well, if we're parking 52 aircraft :eek: , there will be plenty of seats availble with each 737-500 holding 106 coach and each 737-300 holding 112 coach. Not sure if the 737 first seats will work on the 757 or not.

Latest resources

Back