Continental's Fleet Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cal73cap

I talked to a management pilot friend of mine, and he has been asked by Cal management to look at 4 ex-ATA B757-300 located in California. These are ETOPS aircraft that could be used internationally. Was supposed to fly out to the desert to take a look tomorrow, but trip has been postponed for a few days. Maybe the new system bid will have addtional openings.

Good news! Hope this happens!

When is the system bid?

Last edited:
Those airplanes are first going to spend some time at an MRO, most likely Cascade, like the other -300 airframes from ATA did. It's a 2 month visit if memory serves correcly. It's highly doubtful they'll make it in time for the summer schedule, although it's great news either way. Glad to see they didn't go to NWA.

Those airplanes are first going to spend some time at an MRO, most likely Cascade, like the other -300 airframes from ATA did. It's a 2 month visit if memory serves correcly. It's highly doubtful they'll make it in time for the summer schedule, although it's great news either way. Glad to see they didn't go to NWA.

They wouldn't go to NWA since they have RR engines. We use Pratts.

Those airplanes are first going to spend some time at an MRO, most likely Cascade, like the other -300 airframes from ATA did. It's a 2 month visit if memory serves correctly. It's highly doubtful they'll make it in time for the summer schedule, although it's great news either way. Glad to see they didn't go to NWA.

Did that happen with all of them?

The reason I ask, is I recall one weekend we were in and out of Houston and saw one sitting on the MX ramp in full ATA livery. We both opinioned how it would soon be on its way to the paint shop.

The next morning, we returned to see it with struck titles, a blue tail (With the exception of the rudder, of course) and small CAL logos on the forward fuselage.

It was sitting on a gate with bags being loaded.:eek:

It depends whom you ask. From what I'm hearing, probably not.

Since they have to give us 10 days notice of a system bid, they are running out of time to make it happen mid month. I'll believe it when I see it.

Did that happen with all of them?

The reason I ask, is I recall one weekend we were in and out of Houston and saw one sitting on the MX ramp in full ATA livery. We both opinioned how it would soon be on its way to the paint shop.

The next morning, we returned to see it with struck titles, a blue tail (With the exception of the rudder, of course) and small CAL logos on the forward fuselage.

It was sitting on a gate with bags being loaded.:eek:

The airplane is not ready to enter CAL's fleet just with a paint job. The avionics are configured differently, and need to be brought up to CAL's Op Spec's prior to entering service. While I believe you saw one that didn't get a paint job, it definitely had to be retrofitted for CAL's standards. Some of the avionics equipment was not of the same manufacturer, and I believe an ADF was required, or had to be removed (can't remember which way) but the problem was that small box was a 6 figure item.

Doesn't it take many months to reconfigure another carrier's aircraft. My initial thought would be at least six plus months before it is out on the line. Do they have to do flight and certification tests?

Latest resources

Back