Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LARRY H. JUNIOR

Cal reserve:

is it true a pilot on reserve line at cal CANNOT pick up time on days off?

what do most guys on reserve get credit wise a month?

is there a min day for reserve?

do you have to work your way up from min guarantee to make extra,

do you get trip protection pay?

can some please explain the reserve pay and open time, etc?

thanks

Didn't you ask the exact question and get 3 pages of reserve answers last week? What's up brother? Just try that search dealy, it'll set you free.

A or B reserve (long or short) 76 for short and 72 for long
reserve is 24 hours, they can call you only during you "WINDOW"
You'll be working on all work days, so p/u on off days will be "impressive".
No trip protection, you're on reserve. Back to the 76, or 72 thingy
Advanced p/u the day before, you can pick a trip in open time, so you pick you duty times.

Your welcome.

The one little kicker with all of this, ...... it's only 85% correct. You have to find out which part the 15% is. Ha, haaaaa take that!!! You'll have to read the contract!!!

(A) RSV is a 9hr call out (B) RSV 3 hour call out...If you are on A, you get called and have 9 hours until show. Which would give you sufficient rest. Monthly bid you chose A or B.

A reserve you get a 9 hour call out but are contactable 24 hours. So they can call you any time to assign a trip and give you your 9 hours rest. B reserve only contactable during you window. When I was on reserve I only flew over guarante one other than that, I never was paid more than 76 hours. There was one month in October that the company released me for the remainder of the month because I reached my guarantee. If you are within 4 hours of your gurantee and try to pick up open time on your reserve days you cannot. It must be assigned to you. What scheduling willl do is try to level out everyone to get equal amount of credit. I have heard that guys that are on reserve now are flying over guarantee. If you are trying to plan finnancialy just count on the 76 hours.

Reserves can not pick up open time on days off.

Most months you will get your guarantee and that's it. Its a monthly guarantee number (not daily or by trip) so pairing protection...etc does not affect your monthly guarantee. No matter the amount overs or how productive the trips are that you are assigned you will usually only get your guarantee. If you are coming close to the guarantee at the end of the month and they have the coverage they will just release you to avoid paying you more than guarantee.

8 of the 12 days off for reserves are "hard". Those are the only days that pbs honors your seniority for. The remaining four "moveable" days off are assigned at the whim of the pbs computer with perhaps a slight consideration of your preference.

A reserve lines are assigned in seniority order with B reserve being the default. Most bid B reserve as A's get the lower guarantee and can be "rolled" to a B reserve with 9 hours notice twice each month without any increase in min guarantee. After that the guarantee goes up 1 hour for each subsequent "roll" to B reserve.
Up to 25% of the available reserves must be awarded the A lines if they request it.

This summer may have quite a few reserves breaking guarantee on a regular baisis though, as the union and the company are allready posturing over the "junior manning" rules so the writing is on the wall.
Understaffed + PBS = one crazy summer for reserves.

Last edited:
Are they still planning to stop hiring during the summer?

As of last month, pilot recruiting was planning on hiring through the summer. That may have changed but... FWIW, I'm still hearing from line guys of hiring through the summer.

Latest resources

Back