• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This my be a silly question but... Is there some sort of a flow thru from XJT to CAL?

No, not anymore. However, there may be a new flow through agreement negotiated in the near future. Everything regarding details is kind of hush hush by the union, but there are indications of either a new enhanced flow through agreement being negotiated or more preferrential interviews being offered to XJT pilots. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these two scenarios being played out in the very near future. I would honestly say that XJT pilots will probably be filling most of the new CAL vacancies for the forseeable future.

I would be suprised if it were to that extreme. I know the Union talked 2 for 3 in the past, but I think at this point we would be lucky to see a 1-3, if anything at all. The contract has been signed and is done, so for this thing to happen it has to be something that both managments want and both pilot groups want. They sure aren't going to give us anything for free. I am sure the junior CAL pilots want it, and the senior XJT pilots want it, but it costs money, so why does managment want it.

No matter what the XJT or CAL union may want, it's really up to the pilot groups. Would a majority of the CAL group sign on to it? I seriously doubt it. Would a majority of the XJT group sign on to it? I seriously doubt it as well. It was one thing to have such a program when we had 800 pilots but it makes little sense to the junior pilots when we have 3000 pilots.

It sounds like there are a few within the XJT union interested protecting their movement up to CAL and so are still pursuing a new FTA. That might explain why we saw the EFTA make an appearance 2 years ago. I don't remember seeing 1 pilot show support the proposal during the roadshows yet the reps where telling us "we need this." Sounded more like "they needed it".

Nova said:
No matter what the XJT or CAL union may want, it's really up to the pilot groups. Would a majority of the CAL group sign on to it? I seriously doubt it. Would a majority of the XJT group sign on to it? I seriously doubt it as well. It was one thing to have such a program when we had 800 pilots but it makes little sense to the junior pilots when we have 3000 pilots.

It sounds like there are a few within the XJT union interested protecting their movement up to CAL and so are still pursuing a new FTA. That might explain why we saw the EFTA make an appearance 2 years ago. I don't remember seeing 1 pilot show support the proposal during the roadshows yet the reps where telling us "we need this." Sounded more like "they needed it".

Really?

Our polling data showed that a majority wanted it at the time. And, I had numerous pilots (junior and senior) email and call me about when I was in office that were very much for it. Just about everyone I talked to wants one. CAL is retiring over 2000 pilots in the next 5 -10 years. I think it would be benificial for us to get as many of those slots as we can seeing that there is little to no movement in the rest of the industry for the foreseeable future.

And, the current EFTA proposal is zero cost, meaning that it would not cost the company any money to impliment. When management goes after concesions that is the time to go after these kinds of zero cost items.

Frats,

"This will confirm our understanding reached during the pilot negotiations regarding "Flow Through" or other career progression. We have agreed that if CAL and the Association renew their agreement regarding "Flow Through" or other career progression, the Company will meet and confer with the Association representatives in a good faith attempt to reach a similar Agreement."
-John Schrage, in a side letter to XJT pilot contract.

So if this is in the works, when do we learn more about it? And how is it zero cost? I thought in the past managment disliked it because it was too expensive.

Personally I would like to see a renewed program, but don't the CAL pilots have to want it too? When we had it before we were one MEC and one company. Everything is different now. Please explain.

Swordsman1971 said:
Seems rather presumtious to say something like that.
Well if you count 118 slots filled by Xjet pilots this spring/summer and the pref interview fellas that sure equates to the forseeable future in my book.

The FTA is made zero cost by making all new flow-ups start at first year pay. That is where CAL's heartburn was mainly at. Now, they can only reject it based on "religion", which they already have. However, the FTA is still on the table according to TS of the CAL NC.

I have had an application on file since '98. Wonder if it is still anygood??

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back