Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kingairrick said:
I know I am jumpin the gun here
Don't be so sure. CAL today advertised for 5 additional B757 instructors needed for the next year or so at the training center. Expansion is in the works.

Well you guys forgot to mention that after all the recalls there are an additional 112 guys from XJT and CAl has offered another 250 or so positions to XJT guys on top of that. Plus there might be pref interviews for the rest in the future ( who knows about that one)

Ha ha! :) No kidding!

GogglesPisano said:
By the time they start hiring again it will probably be closer to ...

10,000hours
5,000 Turbojet PIC
3,000 hours tactical aircraft
1,000 Space Shuttle
5 Lunar landings (Lunar module pilot time only)
10 LORs, including one from Gordon.
Congressional Medal of Honor

And a willingness to naw off your own right arm in front of the interviewers as you tattoo "CAL rules" across your forehead.

When CAL started their last hiring push in late '97 the mins were:

2000 Total Time
1000 Turbine
700 PIC
200 Instrument
1000 M.E.Land
Commercial/Instrument
First Class Medical
ATP written
FE written (obviously won't be required now)
Bachelor's Degree Preferred

Obviously the competition out there now far exceeds the minimums. I would guess that if you get an interview without a letter of reccomendation you should buy a lottery ticket that day too cuz yer **CENSORED****CENSORED**** lucky.

All furloughed pilots should be back on property by the summer of next year and over 1200 retirements in the five years following so unless the current biz plan changes or the age 60 rule goes away they'll be hiring by late '05 or 2006.

Who knows, by then we could be the highest paid. :mad:

Last edited:
SuperFLUF said:
Obviously the competition out there now far exceeds the minimums. I would guess that if you get an interview without a letter of recommendation you should buy a lottery ticket that day too cuz yer dern lucky.
Ahhh, the salad days of late '97... back when I put a resume in an envelope, put a stamp on it and mailed it in. No recommendation letter. A coupla months later I gots me a j-o-b. Now how in the hell did that happen?? I still wonder about it...

Funny thing, at the time they had a $50 app/interview fee. I took a check to the interview, $50 made out to CAL... but they never asked for it and I forgot to hand it over. Oh well, it's 7 years later and they haven't come sniffing around for it, I guess I'm okay. But then again, those cost cutting, money saving bean counters just might need that $50 to help make a lease payment on a 737 or something...

And speaking of application fees, how 'bout those greedy AA bastards with their $100 (!) app fee? When I opened the app package and saw that little note saying "gimme 100 bucks", I promptly sh!tcanned the whole thing. Maybe if I'd applied and sent $100 they wouldn't be in the shape they're in now...

Its a numbers game.

When I was in class back then they told us that they had 14,000 applications on file and 5,000 with letters of reccomendation (some CAL guys must have been handing out form letters). All for somewhere around 600 positions they had to fill that year. Sure is a lot of hard work just to get into the drawing

If they put the mins too high, then they will have a bunch of 55 year old ready to retire types as the only canidates. Guarantee it will be walk ins, sons, and know the chief for the first year or more.

Latest resources

Back