• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental is recalling Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree, bluefin. If CAL needs pilots they need to recall CAL guys and bring the UAL furloughees over prior to hiring anyone off the street.

I agree, bluefin. If CAL needs pilots they need to recall CAL guys and bring the UAL furloughees over prior to hiring anyone off the street.

Except that management/HR hires and not the union.

Just like I was told at U, "management furloughs pilots not ALPA". This would need to be addressed ASAP by both groups. It would be opening a can of worms. If they do hire off the street ahead of furloughees, I am sure it is addressed somewhere in the alpa bylaws. Furloughees would be recalled as the need arises and fill slots that are open after the merger is completed. This would put them ahead of the new hires, since they already have a seniority number. I can see a lawsuit being filed by the new hires and the furloughees in the future if it transpires the worst way possible. Like I have stated before, this is an opportunity for both pilot groups to correct the wrongs in this proffession, not create new ones. WE can speculate all we want, but it is out of our control. I submit info passed on by the union, not out of my pocket. We will have to deal with it either way. It is time for alpa to either shine, or show their true colors.

Well out of my two choice places....I hope it works out, and treats your groups with the respect they deserve. Where certain labor groups fall short, it can still be accomplished through patience and professionalism. Wish you guys the best.

Semi annual bid award is out. 15 recalls, but I think they have to ask these 15 if they are returning or bypassing. They'll keep going down the list until they get 15, I believe.

Last edited:
There is no way CAL will make it till the merger is complete without hiring more pilots. The big question will be who would want to start working here knowing that 1400+ furloughed pilots will be placed in front of them when the merger is complete?

Maybe you will see an loa offering the slots to UAL furloughs............Maybe not.

That is absolutely correct. After DAL announced the merger with NWA, DAL hired an additional 100 or so pilots, and they were all placed at the bottom by the 3 arbitrators. The cutoff apparently is when the merger was ANNOUCNED.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This seniority issue could be resolved by simply making the forloughed UAL pilots the "new hires." Then you don't have to worry about not getting folks to come because the "snapshot" may or maynot have been taken. I can not think of a down side to this. Even if the merger were to fall through the "new hires" would still be happy.

This seniority issue could be resolved by simply making the forloughed UAL pilots the "new hires." Then you don't have to worry about not getting folks to come because the "snapshot" may or maynot have been taken. I can not think of a down side to this. Even if the merger were to fall through the "new hires" would still be happy.

The furloughed UAL and CAL pilots will be recalled based on XXX before any hiring off the street. Why is this an issue? The snapshot was taken when the merger was announced. It's done...there's nothing else that can be done. Even the 15 pilots recalled at CAL and will be active in a month aren't included.

Last edited:
That's unless you were a furloughee yourself... The "I've got mine" mentality??

You'll have to explain that. Are you saying the UAL furloughee would not want the job?? I am not making a seniority statement here I am saying get OUR pilots back to work.

Latest resources

Back