• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The CAL gig would be great if it didn't take about six years for the typical regional Capt. to break even in salary. $30/H. first year. Ouch indeed

What does a typical regional capt make these days? I'm finishing my year of $30/hr and going into the 777 at $72/hr. When I was a captain at a regional, I didn't make nearly that much, but it was a while ago.

You can argue against it but that doesn't mean you are going to win. 6 years seems just about right. I had it figured at just over 5 years from my payscale at AWAC. Once you include health insurance, 401k match, hourly pay loss, etc...it's about 6 years to break even at CAL after leaving AWAC as a captain. Of course, after 6 years CAL wins hands down.

CAL current rate:
F/O
Year
WB LNB SB
3 $84 $73 $64
4 95 82 73
5 104 91 80
6 114 99 87

AWAC (per airlinepilotpay.com)
CA
Year 146 CRJ
3 $70 $60
4 73 62
5 75 64
6 77 66
20 113 91

so you beat 20 yr CA pay at AWAC on their largest equipment by bidding a widebody with a bed...all in your 6th year. you can hold 777 fo within a year now.

i win.

The CAL gig would be great if it didn't take about six years for the typical regional Capt. to break even in salary. $30/H. first year. Ouch indeed
I really was going to reply then I saw your screen name and figured I didn't have to. If your still confused just read your screen name. If you are still confused, read your screen name again.

Is it all CRJ 200's now at AWAC?

Indeed...as of mid-April '06. Hopefully, something newer/bigger in the next few months, too.

You can argue against it but that doesn't mean you are going to win. 6 years seems just about right. I had it figured at just over 5 years from my payscale at AWAC. Once you include health insurance, 401k match, hourly pay loss, etc...it's about 6 years to break even at CAL after leaving AWAC as a captain. Of course, after 6 years CAL wins hands down.

A 2001 hire, who was furloughed for 3 years, just held Captain on the last bid. He will be making around $140 an hour so I think he has a pretty good arguement.

The early 2005 hires are pretty close to his seniority so they might actually hold it on the next bid.

Or we might merge with UAL causing a ripple effect that could force the entire industry into utter chaos.

I would wait for somthing better to come along..... The downside is pretty bad..:beer:

Or we might merge with UAL causing a ripple effect that could force the entire industry into utter chaos.

I would wait for somthing better to come along..... The downside is pretty bad..:beer:

The very possible consolidation of some Legacies will inevitably bring about consolidation of A/C fleets. I would hate to see folks consuming from their savings to subsidize a $30/H salary and then suffer a furlough.
I really hope that I'm wrong and that the dust has in fact settled :confused:

The very possible consolidation of some Legacies will inevitably bring about consolidation of A/C fleets. I would hate to see folks consuming from their savings to subsidize a $30/H salary and then suffer a furlough.
I really hope that I'm wrong and that the dust has in fact settled :confused:

doom & gloom does not propel a career. i'm taking my chances.

btw - i'm not subsidizing my first year pay with anything. i prepared for the future.

what year would you catch up to your AWAC Captain pay again? hmmm...i can't remember. i provided some numbers if you'd care to revise your guess.

A 2001 hire, who was furloughed for 3 years, just held Captain on the last bid. He will be making around $140 an hour so I think he has a pretty good arguement.

The early 2005 hires are pretty close to his seniority so they might actually hold it on the next bid.

Would you or other CAL guys take SWA over CAL if you had the choice based on what you know? I have a friend who has an offer from both...I told him SWA...what do you guys think. I think he was SWA bound reguardless.

Latest resources

Back