• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I guess it's a dream job in the sense that it's a major airline to where you are certainly making more money than the regionals, and you could get flight benefits to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Come work at Colgan. I get flight benefits on Continental, as well as United and USAirways. You can non-rev pretty easily to every continent, except Antartica. Of course, we start flying there come December when the Q400s come online.

That's the thing though, the money wasn't really there. Initially I would have taken about a 10% pay cut. Eventually the money would have been better, but not so better that it was worth giving up my senior position in my current job and the lower cost of living that I was enjoying. In the end I think it pretty much would have been a wash. The major airline gig just isn't what it used to be.

Come work at Colgan. I get flight benefits on Continental, as well as United and USAirways. You can non-rev pretty easily to every continent, except Antartica. Of course, we start flying there come December when the Q400s come online.

Isn't Colgan now owned by Pinnacle? And isn't the base near D.C? I can only imagine the cost of living is insane there compared to the income.....can you give some more information? Thanks.

Continental dispatch will be the second lowest paid in the industry after America West merges into U.S. Airways pay scale, it will be down there next to AirTran. However, the job itself can be pretty awesome if you are really into the job. As little as one year, they will let you dispatch the entire Continental system, polar stuff, DEL, NRT, Europe, GUM, and South America and you will be qualified to do them all. No assistant BS. There is going to be a good learning curve and quality of life will suck, but that's all expected working for a major international airline. Money is one thing but job security is just as important. Continental always run a lean operation, and there is no doubt that every airlines has problems and there is always going to be some upset people but so far the airline has shown to make smart decisions. Always two steps ahead of the game and that's real important for your career until you get your seniority up.

Last edited:
Continental dispatch will be the second lowest paid in the industry after America West merges into U.S. Airways pay scale, it will be down there next to AirTran. However, the job itself can be pretty awesome if you are really into the job. As little as one year, they will let you dispatch the entire Continental system, polar stuff, DEL, NRT, Europe, GUM, and South America and you will be qualified to do them all. No assistant BS. There is going to be a good learning curve and quality of life will suck, but that's all expected working for a major international airline. Money is one thing but job security is just as important. Continental always run a lean operation, and there is no doubt that every airlines has problems and there is always going to be some upset people but so far the airline has shown to make smart decisions. Always two steps ahead of the game and that's real important for your career until you get your seniority up.
Thanks for that information! Does anyone have any current updated pay scales for all the airlines? And when you mention QOL sucking...is that more from just what hours you work, how management is, or does it purely have to do with living in Houston?

I must preface my remarks by stating that I have not worked for CO, but did work for Continental Micronesia, a wholly owned subsidiary of Continental Airlines, and was able to see the CO contract as well as American Airlines and UAL through the TWU. I have seen the post 9-11 contract for CO, but not for the other airlines.

One issue is the work schedule, they are contractually obligated to work 245 days per year, which is practically a 5-2 schedule. The Hawaiian Airlines contract calls for 218-220 days per year. Continental Micronesia dispatchers work the same type of schedule. Most dispatchers (Part 121 Domestic or Flag) or Flight Followers (Part 121 Supplemental Carriers) will work fewer days than this and some will have the Holy Grail of schedules 4 on -4 off, or slightly less desirable 4 on 3 off 3 on 4 off.

The Continental Airlines SOCC is in the Headquarters building in downtown Houston. The desirable parts of Houston now are north of IAH or out west, so this involves what could be a long commute.

Latest resources

Back