• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Guys Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On a different note, we (CAL) were in ATL in a 737 last month. Due to some weather on our radar and some wind shear alerts, we elected to taxi off the runway, get out of line and wait a bit. During which several aircraft from other airlines happily took off.

Did not mind waiting for the storm to blow past one bit. We are paid by the hour, right? I figure no one will mind if we wait a few minutes. They might mind crashing....

Those were the ones with the very few under age 50 flight attendants that had to get to the overnight quick. You gotta play if you wanna win :)

Did not mind waiting for the storm to blow past one bit. We are paid by the hour, right? I figure no one will mind if we wait a few minutes. They might mind crashing....[/QUOTE]

I agree...whats the hurry. I figured some guys are immune to the effects of thunderstorms :rolleyes:

That's interesting you saw that. I've seen twice, in the last month, no less than 10 CAL airplanes and others in CAL livery delay departure a minimum of 15 minutes when LLWS alerts were issued. Two of the CAL flights were already P&H on their departure runway and taxied clear. American, Delta, and AC Jazz chose to wait. A Compass aircraft chose to takeoff as well as one UAL bus and a USAir 737.

I remarked to the CA "How much you wanna bet someone says yes when tower asks them if they can depart?"

I will be honest and tell you I thought it would be either another CAL aircraft or and XJT bird that did.

I was wrong. I was proud.

If it's an increasing wind and the airport has terminal doppler radar or a weather processor, just recalculate your Vr and you're good to go. I know our management sucks, but our pilots do not.

Latest resources

Back