Continental Guys Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

festus

Hey in IAH yeasterday some big storms moved over the field in the early evening and had several windshear alerts up to 55 knots. I noticed a couple - a 73 and a 75 elected to take off on 33L & R right into the the approaching storms as we could see the rain starting to pour onto the north end of the field and move south closing the airport. Was wondering what the thunderstorm policy is - no flame intended.

Hey in IAH yeasterday some big storms moved over the field in the early evening and had several windshear alerts up to 55 knots. I noticed a couple - a 73 and a 75 elected to take off on 33L & R right into the the approaching storms as we could see the rain starting to pour onto the north end of the field and move south closing the airport. Was wondering what the thunderstorm policy is - no flame intended.

None taken. They were idiots. Pure and simple. FLY SAFE should be first and foremost at CAL.

Did they takeoff from the taxiway? :)

None taken. They were idiots. Pure and simple. FLY SAFE should be first and foremost at CAL.

Well, in their minds, they were the only planes on the airport and they couldn't see far enough past their own selfishness to see the impending storms. After all, they saved the company in 1983. Why not keep saving it? Fred's heroes!

In ATL the other day, American was next for takeoff on 9L. As they were taxiing on to hold, a microburst alert went off in the tower with a loss of 30 knots. American said they would not take off.

A few minutes later tower comes back and says, "American, are you guys ready to go?"

AA: "Yes, we're ready."

Tower: "American XXX, clear for takeoff, 9L, microburst alert, loss of 30 knots off departure end."

AA: "I said we're ready to go, but not if you're still getting a microburst alert."

Pretty comical to hear because everytime the tower guy keyed the mic, you could hear the microburst alarm going off in the background.

DId they crash? I guess not........ They got the job done. I think there are toom many kitten pilots employed now as airline pilots....

Don't be a kitten folks@!!

DId they crash? I guess not........ They got the job done. I think there are toom many kitten pilots employed now as airline pilots....

Don't be a kitten folks@!!

Jesus Christ. When (if) the real Sean gets back to this account, all hell will break loose.

I think you just stole the title from TheGuat. The most amazing prank/flame assault of all time!

Last winter in LGA, ice storm. The ATIS and controllers were reporting freezing rain. No one could T/O because the report was not LIGHT freezing rain. I found it interesting that the only carrier that asked for and received takeoff clearance was CAL.
Not a fan of freezing rain myself, but maybe CAL pilots/aircraft are better equipped?

Latest resources

Back