• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Goin' Ons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a question for people that are in training at CO. Do you really need a car while your are down in IAH?

I'm in the September 20th class and might not have a car while in training. I talked with one guy and he ate at the airport every night. I don't know if I can handle that. Any info would be appreciated. I can't wait to get down there!

Rentals are very expensive around the IAH airport. There are a lot of places to eat in the airport and actually, the food isn't that bad. Allies in the Marriott gives a 20% discount for CAL trainees.

Welcome aboard.

LearLove said:
Wonderful, the one f'in airline I'd like to work for is hiring into the one base I'd like to be based at and can't get them to call for the life of me. On top of that it looks like the first round of furlough notices will go out the second or third week in Sept. for us MDA guys. Anyway enough of my rant, congrats to the guys getting on and if you want to trade I'd love to be based at EWR.

FWFW, Expressjet is hiring and there's a good chance you could be based at EWR.

I highly recommend a car if at all possible. It gives you a chance to get away from the airport for a while during training. I find it very mentally refreshing to be able to take a break from this place for short periods at a time and take a drive, but thats just me. Good luck...

Fly

According to a chief pilot weekly voice mail from last week, seat bid is supposed to come out 9/9/5. They've acquired two 777s and are getting more 757s. It will also look at retirements for next 12 months. 877-324-6245, 7, 72253, 1, 1.

You don't need a car while in training. While I agree it would be nice to go for a drive and clear the air out, there is plenty to do and eat around the airport / hotel. You should also be able to get access to a car through a classmate, which will help get some groceries, beer etc.

The hotel will bring you to a local mall, you can get together with a partner and rent a car for the weekend if you like.

just curious

RichardFitzwell said:
The latest August 23rd class breakdown was posted in another thread but here it is again with some additional rumors and facts in the mix. Twelve new hires aging from 26 to 40 started on August 23rd. All were awarded the B737 in EWR. They came from...

Southern Air
XJT (2)
USAF
AAE
AirTran
USN
ATA
ANG
ACA
Shuttle America
ASA

The next class of twelve will start on August 30th. They will all go to EWR. Starting in September, classes will increase from 12/week to 16/week. Approval has been granted to hire 500 more pilots by April 2006. The next bid will be out in September with a rumored 170 Captain positions. Continental may be getting the additional 4 B757s from ATA. Eight have currently been acquired through Boeing. Also, Continental's jumpseat policy will change next month. We will take as many off-line jumpseaters as open seats in the back.

The training department is getting up to speed and things are looking very positive for Continental. Good luck to all that have applied.

Why would someone from AirTran, which has ZERO pension expenses right now, and according to websites, the most junior CPT is a Jan 2003 hire, plus the entire fleet is brand new.

Just curious, unless this dude's hometown is Houston (or Newark), other than that, I wonder why he left

later

There are some of us, the AirTran guy included, that enjoy flying long haul international enough to leave a job for Continental.

Another thing, it's not like AirTran is a Southwest or FedEx type company, where you can say "Wow, I could go there for 20-30 years, make lots of money, retire, and never be subject to furlough or a concessionairy T/A." AirTrans finances and outlook are arguably no better than Continental's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say AirTran is in any kind of bad shape or not a decent place to fly. However, I think someone going to AirTran for 30ish years "career expectations" (for those of us who've heard that phrase) are no better than someone doing the same thing at Continental.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back