• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Express?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to understand that COEX would not have furloughed a single pilot if there was no flow-through. The flow-through provision also works in reverse and most people who were interested in interviewing or working for COEX knew this. However that being said, when the flow-through is terminated, or re-negotiated, things will be different. We are going to hire hundreds in 2003. COEX is not like working for a "regional airline. Just read this weeks USA Today. We're starting service to Palm Springs in December and and a few new destinations in Mexico. My next 4 day takes me through 3 hubs with only 3 legs per day and about 5 hours of flying per day.

Oh yeah, real quick, I haven't heard anything about a TYS domicile. It would require some capital spending like a management staff including a chief pilot etc. I see a new base down the road but I don't believe TYS will be one. I do like that airport though. I'm thinking maybe somewhere down on the East coast like Florida, or Richmond VA. Maybe out West one day but who knows. 124 aircraft to be delivered over 3 years and we're running out of room in CLE, IAH, and EWR. Get your resume's ready as we'll finally be looking for some new talent.

IAHERJ

My guess would be at the earliest, December or January at the latest. It will take only a few months to train the recalls at a rate of 100 a month. After that we will be ready to start with some new hire classes at a rate of about 50-100 a month.

IAHERJ

What are the junior domiciles and which domicile would be the easiest to commute to from Western NC (about 40 NM south of TYS)?

Thanks,
JDJ

EWR is probably the most junior base for F/O's however some of our most senior captains are in EWR. IAH is the most senior base for F/O's currently with CLE in the middle. TYS has COEX service to all hubs so you would be in good shape. My advise would be to bid the most junior hub as you will be able to hold a line there more quickly. Commuting while holding a line is a lot more livable than commuting to sit reserve in a crash pad with 5 other guys. However many of my findest memories are of commuting to CLE in the winter and living in an apartment with 5 guys on reserve. It was like being in college again.

A typical hard line (not a reserve schedule) would consist of mostly 4 day trips. You'd have 11-13 days off being junior and you'd probably work a 4 day followed by 3 days off. The trip would be like any other 4 day trip ranging from out and backs from your hub to hub bypass stuff. Here's the trip I just finshed. I am a junior captain therefore the first officer was junior as well.

Day 1:

IAH-CRP
CRP-IAH
IAH-STL
STL-EWR
Layover in EWR at Holiday Inn North

Day 2:
EWR-STL
STL-IAH
IAH-LEX
Layover in LEX at Hyatt Regency Downtown

Day 3:
LEX-CLE
CLE-MKE
MKE-IAH
IAH-DAL

Layover in DAL at Sheraton

Day 4:
DAL-IAH
IAH-CHS
CHS-IAH
Done

Not an exotic trip but you see different areas of the country. I've had and frequently have a 32 hour Mexico layover followed by a layover in Maine or Canada. That's getting around on an RJ.

Some lines have 2 or 3 or even day trips. Most of the day trip lines consist of a complete line of day trips for those who like to be home every night. If you're going to commute you'll probably want 4 days. You can get 4 days of flying in and enjoy some extended time at home. The EWR CA bid packet for July has many lines with 8-9 days off in a row. Several lines with 21 days off but as you might expect, the very senior guys get those. Most lines had 14-15 days off with only the very junior guys getting the minimum 11 days off. Reserve schedules are 11 days off with 4-5 days of reserve in a row followed by 2-3 days off. You will get 11 days off on reserve.

Current Mexican destinations include (forgive my spelling):

Aguascalientes
Saltillo
Monterrey
Torreon
Ixtalpa/Zihuanteno
Mazaltlan
San Louis Potosi
Chihuaha
Veracruz
Tampico
soon Manzinilla (sp?)

The -XR will allow us to go deeper into Mexico and on down into Central America. I may of left out a couple of Mexican destinations but those are the ones I've been two and can recall of the top of my head.

IAHERJ

Latest resources

Back