Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propjob27

I have people skills!
This is not flame bait. So please resist doing so until at least 3 or 4 posts.

I have a reserve question about CAL.

As far as I know, which isn't that much, out of EWR on the 737 they only have one "type" of reserve, with a 2 hour callout. How long is the call out period (or duty day) 12 hours? 15? I think min days off is 12. How are the reserve lines built? 3 on 4 off, etc?

Also, on the other equipment, for international flying purposes, they must have some different kind of reserve. Is there any long call out reserve, or something similar?

Is there any place on the web to view the contract? I remember a while ago there was a website with various airline contracts posted, but I don't know how current they were.

Thanks for any info.

New reserve system starts in Aug. Short=2 hours to the gate, 3 hours to departure. Long=9 hours to the gate.

yes:)

Can reserves pick up opentime on their days off for extra cash? I hear the new credit cap is somewhere around 120 hours.

There'll be a system in place for reserves to pick up open time trips the day before their on-call period starts. Day-matching will apply, I guess... meaning that if you're on call for the next three days, they'll let you pick up that three day in open time, but not the higher-time two day. The short-call reserves will have a pickup window also, a couple of hours after the long-call reserves.

calfo said:
There'll be a system in place for reserves to pick up open time trips the day before their on-call period starts. Day-matching will apply, I guess... meaning that if you're on call for the next three days, they'll let you pick up that three day in open time, but not the higher-time two day. The short-call reserves will have a pickup window also, a couple of hours after the long-call reserves.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. But what about picking up OT on your days off to go above guarantee?

Is this allowed?

GogglesPisano said:
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. But what about picking up OT on your days off to go above guarantee?

Is this allowed?

Can't pick up time on your days off as a reserve.

Long call reserves only get a 72 hour guarantee and you can't pick up trips on your reserve days that will take you over that amount. So unless Scheduling really needs you, you won't go over guarantee. (Right now we're short and many of the reserves on the 73 & 75/76 are going over guarantee, especially in EWR, but hopefully that won't last past the end of the year)

The short call reserves get a 76 hour guarantee and its a 15hr call out window. You dont bid for the window, you just put in your request before you start your block of days and scheds awards the callout times based on seniority and what they need with no real way to predict what you'll get till 4pm the day before.

Long call reserves are available for every fleet but only the most senior 25% who bid it are required to be awarded the long call lines. Also long call can be converted to short call with 9hrs notice and no increase in pay guarantee the first two(?) times they do it. Aug. is the first month of the new system and maybe 5-10% of the reserves bid for long call lines. I doubt they will be too popular given the pay hit and possibility of coversion to short call.

12 days off for reserve lines and they are built all different ways. There are two blocks of immovable days off that have to total 8. Somtimes there are two 4 day off blocks of immovable days and sometimes there are 3 and 5 day blocks. The remaining 4 movable days are usually in 2, 2-day blocks but are sometimes together as 4. It depends on the number of weekends in that particular bid month and factors only known to a tarrot card reader as to how the lines break down. The mix of res lines is usually pretty varied and only the weekend off lines are hard to hold. My line for Jul was 2 on, 3 off, 5 on, 2 off, 5 on, 2 off, 6 on, 5 off. When staffing is somwhat normal you can usually trade a few of your reserve days and redesignate immoveable blocks to re arrange your line. Right now, its almost impossible.

There are no special reserve lines for international. The only equipment with mostly pure international flying is the 777. Everything else is mixed. All of the reserve lines look the same and you can fly an interntational trip one week followed by a domestic the next (or back to back). The parings may even be mixed depending on the stage length.

As far as the contract goes, if you find a copy on a non-secure site then look at the cover page. If it says contract 02 or 2002 then its the current contract.

propjob27 said:
What about seat lock for new hires? How soon before you can change equipment?

One of the few advances made with this contract is the removal of freezes for advancing in seat position or category of equipment. So you can bid up to anything larger as soon as you can hold it.

Latest resources

Back