• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ableone

January 4, 2010

Dear Co-worker:

As I step into my new role as CEO, I'm proud and excited to be leading the greatest team in the airline industry. You have proven again and again that you can provide the best customer service and product in the business, despite the many challenges that have become the "new normal" for this industry. You just proved that yet again over the holidays, when you performed at the top of your game in one of the worst winter storms in decades on one of the busiest travel days of the year. No one does it better.

Now we need to focus on conquering our biggest challenge of all: making money on an on-going basis. Making money will make possible all the good things you want and deserve from Continental - job security, better pay, better benefits, career advancement and retirement security. Continuing year after year of losses will result in all the things you don't want - furloughs, pay and benefit reductions, career stagnation and worries about retirement. We've lost almost $1 billion since 9/11 as we've managed from one crisis to the next. It's our airline and it's time to take control of our destiny.

To demonstrate my belief in your ability to do just that, I am going to refuse to accept any salary or annual bonus until we make a full-year profit. I am willing to make this commitment because I have faith in you, and because the tone for any business is set at the top. I am not asking you or anyone else to reduce their pay. What I am asking is that you join me in making Continental profitable again. I'm asking that you do what you do best - provide our customers outstanding service while working more efficiently, bringing in new revenue and out-performing the competition.

While we face enormous challenges, we also have significant strengths. We have you - the most professional men and women in the industry. We belong to the world's best and most comprehensive airline alliance - Star Alliance. We fly the newest, most fuel-efficient fleet in the industry, and we have world class facilities. We continue to ensure that our product is competitive, adding amenities like DIRECTV, Video on Demand and flat-bed seats.

Our greatest strength is and always has been the Continental team and our Working Together culture. You are the key to our success and deserve all of the opportunities that will come from making money again. It's our airline. Let's get it back in the black so we can all enjoy the benefits that will flow from making money again.

I wish you all a healthy, happy - and prosperous - New Year.

Jeff

How much $$ is he giving up? AND how much will he still make? (IF CAL doesn't turn a profit.)

It seems to me that this is more of an indication that they think 2010 will be profitable. CAL only needs to make a dollar (or a penny) for this to be nothing but a smokescreen to dristract and put pressure on the mechanics, pilots, flight attendants and most probably the ground service workers that are all re-negotiating this year.

Awesome.. good for him.. Now FUPM....

Not until full year profitability, didn't you read? Rings hollow for him to give up his salary and bonus. He's already made 10X what he needs to retire today and not change his lifestyle one bit.

This is a very well thought out move in the court of public opinion. He's about to have all the unionized groups in contract negotiations as well as the possibility of Teamsters representing the ramp workers. I don't care what the public thinks, you owe us Jeff. FUPM

FUPM!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Co....html?x=0&.v=4

By David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer , On Monday January 4, 2010, 2:48 pm

DALLAS (AP) -- The new CEO of Continental Airlines Inc. says he will refuse to accept a salary or annual bonus until the company makes a full-year profit.

Jeffery A. Smisek, who became CEO on Friday after Lawrence Kellner stepped down to join a private-equity firm, told employees of his pledge Monday.

Continental, the nation's fourth-largest airline by traffic, lost $367 million in the first nine months of last year.

Smisek said if employees want better pay and benefits, they need to focus on making money. He said he was making his pledge because "the tone for any business is set at the top."

Smisek might not have to stick to his pledge for long. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect the airline to close the books on 2009 by reporting a loss of more than $38 million in last year's fourth quarter. But for 2010, they predict a profit of about $190 million.

Continental reported large losses in the first and second quarters, and accompanied the second-quarter results with plans to cut 1,700 jobs.
In his previous job as president and chief operating officer, Smisek was paid a salary of $240,000 in 2008, the last year for which figures have been disclosed. He got no bonus that year -- nor in the previous two years -- but received incentive pay of $1.4 million and stock options valued at $1.9 million when they were issued.

The stock options are worth less today because Continental shares have fallen 40 percent since the options were issued in February 2008.

In his note to employees Monday, Smisek said the work force must focus on "conquering our biggest challenge of all: making money on an ongoing basis." He said profits would make possible all the things that employees want, while continuing losses will lead to furloughs and stagnant pay and benefits.

Smisek said he wasn't asking anyone else to cut their pay.

Continental shares rose 15 cents to $18.07 in afternoon trading.

Smisek might not have to stick to his pledge for long. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect the airline to close the books on 2009 by reporting a loss of more than $38 million in last year's fourth quarter. But for 2010, they predict a profit of about $190 million.
Wow, a $190 million profit on revenues of around $13 billion. What is that a 2-3% operating margin?

Wow, a $190 million profit on revenues of around $13 billion. What is that a 2-3% operating margin?

Whaddaya expect, he's a lawyer with an underpaid workforce not a visionary or operations guy.
A talented airline CEO would probably be able to get 6-8% out of that.

My wife qualifies for deferred-compensation as a very highly-compensated senior executive. It's a wonderful thing and has MANY advantages. So believe me when I tell you it is in NO WAY a sacrifice by ANY stretch of the imagination. :)

That press-release was a classic stroke-job to say the least, and anyone familiar with that type of program knows it and is just laughing!

Pretty incredible!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back