Continental Airlines & their requirements

El Guapo

Mile high club member
Total Time
Plenty
I was looking at the minimum requirememts for Continental Airlines and they seem VERY low.

* 1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time.
* 1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet.
* 1,000 hours fixed wing turbine time
* 1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time or 1,000 hours military single engine fighter jet time.
* A current ATP written exam
* A current first class FAA medical
* A current passport
* A Bachelor's degree is highly desired

These sound extremely lower than any other airline out there. I think that they post these low requirements, so that AIR APPS gets more people to pay for applying to their Pay on-line application. Does anyone know if there has been a pilot hired with CO with these bare minimums???

Last edited:

pkober

Total Time
If you have the right reconmendation those minimums due apply. In my class we all exceed those mins by at least a few thousand hours. The nice thing is that there is no 1000 PIC turbine and having no PIC turbine will not hold you back.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

purple1day

Total Time
5000+
You don't have to pay for Air Apps anyway as long as you are only submitting to one airline.

Mr Hat

Total Time
They probably seem low because the only ones that have been hiring lately have been airlines with historically higher minimums. Most of the major/legacy carriers when they were hiring back in the late 90's had very low minimums. I think United min's used to be a commercial pilots license and 500 hours. In quite a few cases, Major min's used to be lower than Regional mins. I guess it's so they had some wiggle room when they wanted to hire someone who wouldn't normally be competetive.

ACWild

Total Time
United's actually was 350 hours, but I seriously doubt that anyone got hired with that.

COpilot

Total Time
I remember reading in AOPA about a young lady (civilian) who was hired during the early 90's with 800TT at UA.

At CO the low time, might be advertised for those certain instances where a son/daughter of someone is destend to get on property as soon as possable. Not often right, but something that just happens.

happyhands!

Total Time
El Guapo! that's nice you are infamous, that is like more than famous! so far the lowest I've heard going through at cal is 2500TT, and yes it is lower than the rest it is mostly who you know right now.

ACWild

Total Time
They did hire 23 and 24 year old pilots, so I hear. I'd love to know what their experience is.

El Guapo

Mile high club member
Total Time
Plenty
23 and 24 years old!?! They couldn't have too much experience; unless they completely skipped college and began flying at 16 years of age. I too am curious as to what kind of experience those guys have.

ACWild

Total Time
Rumor has it that one is the CPs son, but I know nothing.

erj-145mech

Total Time
El Guapo said:
They couldn't have too much experiencequote]

They had enough experience to get and pass an interview.

Hey, somebody had to say it.

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
ACWild said:
They did hire 23 and 24 year old pilots, so I hear. I'd love to know what their experience is.
They'll fit in pretty good when they get backflowed into Continental Express.

RichardFitzwell

Total Time
FN FAL said:
They'll fit in pretty good when they get backflowed into Continental Express.
You seem to have a pretty good grasp of what's going on at Continental.