• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Airline Pilots and ATC at Houston

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Continental pilots, I fly into IAH frequently. Also, I have jumpseated in your cockpits many times going into IAH.

Yesterday (March 11, 2009 around sunset), I was going into IAH and the weather was IFR with a small pocket, clear of clouds near the aiport, well inside of the FAF for the westbound runways.

Many of the CAL planes going into IAH were accepting visual approaches going into IAH. How could you guys accept visual approaches at that time? There was no way you could conduct visual approaches. So, ATC tried to pressure us to take a visual approach into RWY 26R. Unfortunately, my captain fell for the bait because ATC threatened to break us off from the approach and re-sequence us. The result was that ATC gave us some wild vector, well inside of OWELL FAF that resulted in an un-stabilized approach that I managed to save. However, both my captain and I were extremely upset.

I have jumpseated many times on CAL in the cockpit. I've seen you accept visual apps into IAH and then fly straight into the clouds which is a violation of the FARs.

So, please CAL pilots, do not accept visual apps going into IAH when conditions are not VFR. You are breaking regs and giving the controllers a false impression that conditions are safe for visual apps when they are not.

IAH controllers, please stop issuing visual apps when conditions are below VFR.

My passengers and I will thank you.

I know where this guy is coming from, I used to think I knew everything too. Ive been flying in and out of IAH for three years now an I have to say " dude I have no idea what your talking about." But if your that worried about it maybe you should stop riding on Continental jumpseats, we probably wont miss you (and your passengers).

Last edited:
do a search on his previous posts, sounds like a moron. Supposedly ATP but all sorts of stupid questions

http://forums.flightinfo.com/search.php?searchid=2082760

Claims to fly an RJ but not mentioned in his profile. Mentions the 172 tho, prob a Hawk XP conversion, caution wake turbulence

Civ/Mil: CIV
A/C Flown: BE1900D, DHC-6-300, CE172, CE182, CE210, PA28, BE58, BE76, CE310, CE414
Ratings: IRA, SEL, MEL
Curr Position: Regional
Total Time: 3100

Not yet it hasn't!

Mesa sucks.

There. Now we're done. :laugh:

You left some out.
1) Stupid backpacks and spikey hair.
2) Obama sucks.
3) Bush sucks.
4) General Lee sucks.
5) PFT's suck.

Anybody else please add on to the usuals.

I'm of the opinion that what happens when you're on the jumpseat stays on the jumpseat. Naming the airline and their alleged infractions is poor form, in my opinion. The crew has granted a favor that many crewmembers rely on for their ride to work. When you lose it, as I recently have because my company pulled out of MDT, it adds significant stress to your life. I only rode company aircraft and the few screw ups I observed stayed in the cockpit and jumpseaters who observed some of my screw ups returned the favor.
I have observed aircraft accepting visual approaches when the RVR was being quoted in interesting numbers, however I could see said aircraft well beyond 3 miles from the approach end of the runway. In my opinion safety was never compromised.

The result was that ATC gave us some wild vector, well inside of OWELL FAF that resulted in an un-stabilized approach that I managed to save. However, both my captain and I were extremely upset.
My passengers and I will thank you.

How exactly did you "save" it? Did you take the controls? Good job ace..;)

Last edited:
Next time you want to jumpseat on CAL make sure you identify yourself as that massive tool on flightinfo, so at that point I can send your ass back up the jetway.

How could you guys accept visual approaches at that time?

Well, obviously CAL pilots are a bunch of reckless aviators with a flagrant disregard for regulation and safety (that's sarcasm, if you couldn't tell). Seriously, what type of response did you expect to your digression?

My passengers...will thank you.
Sweet! None of my own passengers have said to me, "Thanks for refusing a visual back there," let alone someone else's passengers. I look forward to the gratitude!

Latest resources

Back