Conscientious Objector

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hoover

What would happen if a military pilot decided he could not in good conscience participate in a conflict that was occurring somewhere in the world. I don't mean that he is a traitor, or that he gets up in the air over the target and refuses to drop his bombs; What I mean is that some conflict starts up that the U.S. is participating in, and this pilot decides that he cannot be a participant in it if his unit gets called up. What are his options? What would happen to him?

Leavenworth.

You are supposed to have that stuff sorted out before you take the oath.

Objector status has to be made before one gets drafted. there is actually a process to it.

Since there is no draft, there are no conscientous objectors. Its a volunteer force, and they don't expect people to volunteer for things that they don't agree with.

Some Army LT in hawaii is going thru this now.

Last edited:
That officer would likely, and justifiably, be charged with direct disobedience to a lawful order and face a general court martial.

This isn't the Cub Scouts. It's deadly serious business.

In the whole Vietnam conflict one officer flight crewmember, a B-52 Nav out of Utapao, refused to fly a mission. In Dec 1972. He turned in his wings prior to being assigned another mission over Hanoi. He was given an administrative discharge under honorable conditions. During WWII, pilot would "Bomb Nuts" and say they could not fly another mission. In the RAF, they were branded with "Lack of Morale Fiber", drummed out of the RAF, and in some places actually imprisoned. The USAAF just spent them to a rest home, if they still could not fly. They were sent home to a ground job. Less than 1% of the USAAF pilots ever refused combat duty.

Like everything else with military law these days, it's not as cut and dried as you might expect. In the Army anyway, you can claim that you "developed" these post-joining convictions after you signed-on. That's what I think I read that LT Wasabi (sp) is claiming. Who knows if it will succeed. He'll likely cut a deal and walk while we prosecute Marines making split-second decisions

Like everything else with military law these days, it's not as cut and dried as you might expect. In the Army anyway, you can claim that you "developed" these post-joining convictions after you signed-on. That's what I think I read that LT Wasabi (sp) is claiming. Who knows if it will succeed. He'll likely cut a deal and walk while we prosecute Marines making split-second decisions

Well said. He'll be a hero to the crazy left and probably write a book. Our Marines are chained to the floor while this guy will walk free.

Leavenworth would be appropriate. I say keep your word, you took an oath by your own choice, with no mental reservations. You need to suck it up until your current commitment is up, then walk away with a spine.

That jackass is already a cult-hero of the left. Anyone who joins the military as an officer should be educated enough to what the commitment entails. People who suddenly develop certain "feelings" once medical/dental/grad school is paid for should be excoriated for any number of reasons.

Hypocrisy, opportunism, whatever. Hell, even if someone was GENUINELY a CO and STILL joined the military to pay for school, they should be scorned for the blatant opportunistic grab.

Bottom line: Any officer CO (or E for that matter) should get zero sympathy from anyone. They're either a coward or a hypocrite. Nowhere in between.

What I mean is that some conflict starts up that the U.S. is participating in, and this pilot decides that he cannot be a participant in it if his unit gets called up. What are his options? What would happen to him?
Our hypothetical office should report to his commander, look the commander in the eye, and state that he will not follow an order to go to this war.

This officer should then plead guilty to disobeying a direct order and serve a term of imprisonment determined by a Courts Martial followed by a dishonorable discharge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back