• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Congress to Hold News Conference to Announce Air Safety Improvement 2:30EST

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a thought. The bill talks about creating FAA database containing info about all checkride a pilot has taken, not just 121/135 checkrides. Will this deter people from getting "extracurricular" ratings such as seaplanes, gliders, balloons, etc. for the fear of exposing themselves to a possible checkride bust? If so, will it hurt the business of such schools? For those who happen to have a such bust in their record, will it hurt their airline career? If so, is that fair? (I don't think so)

Just a thought. The bill talks about creating FAA database containing info about all checkride a pilot has taken, not just 121/135 checkrides. Will this deter people from getting "extracurricular" ratings such as seaplanes, gliders, balloons, etc. for the fear of exposing themselves to a possible checkride bust? If so, will it hurt the business of such schools? For those who happen to have a such bust in their record, will it hurt their airline career? If so, is that fair? (I don't think so)

Excellent points. However, hiring departments are not being told to accept or reject a certain number of busts, so as before, it will be a matter of judgement. The only change is, that judgement will now have to hold up to public scrutiny if a future accident occurs, as the airline won't be able to claim ignorance.

So I think common sense will prevail. If a pilot has had zero failures of the "basic" checkrides (pvt, inst., comm, atp), but busted his hot air balloon rating, he will probably be hired. If he failed his glider, seaplane, instrument, and atp checkrides, he probably should not be hired.

Excellent points. However, hiring departments are not being told to accept or reject a certain number of busts, so as before, it will be a matter of judgement. The only change is, that judgement will now have to hold up to public scrutiny if a future accident occurs, as the airline won't be able to claim ignorance.

So I think common sense will prevail. If a pilot has had zero failures of the "basic" checkrides (pvt, inst., comm, atp), but busted his hot air balloon rating, he will probably be hired. If he failed his glider, seaplane, instrument, and atp checkrides, he probably should not be hired.

You're absolutely right. However, the public perception and the media won't have much of that common sense.

If, God forbid, there's another accident in which pilot error is an issue, and the media finds out that the said pilot had a failed checkride in a balloon once (out of otherwise exemplary record), they will have a field day with it. As unfair as that may be.

I can almost hear those cable TV newscasters now: "My God! They hired someone who couldn't even handle a hot air balloon and put him/her in charge of a multi-million dollar jet! How could someone let this happen?!?!"

You're absolutely right. However, the public perception and the media won't have much of that common sense.

If, God forbid, there's another accident in which pilot error is an issue, and the media finds out that the said pilot had a failed checkride in a balloon once (out of otherwise exemplary record), they will have a field day with it. As unfair as that may be.

I can almost hear those cable TV newscasters now: "My God! They hired someone who couldn't even handle a hot air balloon and put him/her in charge of a multi-million dollar jet! How could someone let this happen?!?!"

I know I would totally phuqup a hot air balloon.

Latest resources

Back