Congrats Horizon!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

Horizon Pilots won their arbitration today.

2.8% pay raise as opposed to 5% pay cut the company was seeking.

Score one for the good guys.

Talk about rolling the dice.......

But in reality QX will be shrunk out of existence and all their flying will go to Skywest "in an effort to control costs because pilots are too expensive." I would bail. Like yesterday.

Watch. This is the first nail in the coffin for Horizon Air.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Group sold QX to SKW or RAH.

This is a victory for all pilots. It would take a couple years for ALK to get qx pilots out of the q400. Skywest already had a group of trained Crj pilots & mechanics. Not so for the q. Colgan's still cant schedule a crew right, let alone train Cat III ops.

Unless, of course, the Air Group sells them off.

Fubi,
You know they can't sell off Horizon.
The big Y in the road is 2015-2016 when our 400's are scheduled to go. We will be right back to "what do we do now?" like we were in 2007 when the 200's retired.
I see only two choices. 1. Take the now 15 year old 700's and start cutting a large door, and go through all the hassle again to make another combi or 2. Bring Horizon to ANC and spend the next few years slowly working the bugs out and eventually (2015-16) have them fly the state of Alaska. Of course the Q400 can't pack the loads (pax, FR8 and bags) so people will ride around the state in turbo props and FR8 will fly in jets. A 700 freighter is a lot easier / cheaper to make than a 700 Combi.
If you have not done so, go to On Your Horizon and read the 34 page brief about the arbitrators decision - it's a good read. I didn't like the part where it showed that Alaska pilot's wages have gone up 2.3% since 2001. Really? 2.3% raise in 10+ years? No wonder this is a slowly dying profession.
But for now - Congrats to the Horizon pilots! Job well done!

Latest resources

Back