Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJones

Rico SWAFO
Just curious, what is the rotatation and approach speeds of the Concorde. I've been trying to fly the Concorde in my flight simulator 2000 and although I can get it in the air I'm always forcing it off well below what is probably the correct rotation speed. Also, I think I'm not flying the correct speed on final. Any ideas from you flight sim wizards or you fellah's flying it would be nice -- thanks in advance.

RJ

Ballpark, Vr is about 195 and Vref is about 165-170 (if memory serves). If you want more detailed info (I did a substantial write-up for an advanced aerodynamics class), PM me and I'll email you a copy.

V1 (decision speed) is around 160 kts and Vr is usually between 190 and 205 kts. I don't know what Vref is, but 170 sounds about right.

Rotation on takeoff is sluggish, since the only pitch controls the plane has are the elevons at the very back of the wing. They are reletively close to the main gear, so they have a short arm to work with. That is why the tires lead such a rough life. With most planes, on rotation the plane rotates around the main gear (more or less). On the Concorde, rotation presses the gear into the runway, so they bear even more weight just as their speed is reaching the maximum. The Russian Tu-144 improved on this a little, since it had the forward mounted canards to help with pitch authority.

B-J-J Fighter, weren't you my FO last week for that turn to LHR?

;-)

"B-J-J Fighter, weren't you my FO last week for that turn to LHR?"

No, I was flying sorties over Iraq in a top secret CIA U2. Next week I will be doing a test flight for Airbus in the A380, that is if the Pres. doesnt need me to fly him around.

Latest resources

Back