Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. government computer loaded with approximately 133,000 drivers' and pilots' records -- including Social Security numbers -- was stolen last month, the Department of Transportation said on Wednesday.

The department's Office of Inspector General said one of its laptops was taken from a government vehicle in Doral, Florida, on July 27. The agency is sending letters to those whose information may have been compromised.

The stolen Transportation Department computer included information from more than 80,000 commercial driver's licenses issued in the Miami-Dade County area. The data included drivers' names, Social Security numbers and dates of birth, the agency said.

The laptop also had 42,800 records for people issued pilot licenses in Florida by the Federal Aviation Administration, and 9,500 Tampa area drivers' licenses, the department said. Those records also included names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth.

The information on licenses had been collected as part of investigations into possible fraud, according to the letter. A $10,000 reward has been posted for information leading to the recovery of the laptop, the inspector general said.
lllllll

Can anyone tell me why the government really absolutely needs to carry around thousands of citizen's private information on laptops? Honestly what is the point in that? Why the risk, especially since it's happend before?

Person who left the laptop in the car needs to be fired and charged with criminal for negligence!

NW_Pilot said:
Person who left the laptop in the car needs to be fired and charged with criminal for negligence!
No, their kids need to be drafted and sent immediately to Iraq after graduating from boot camp.

NW_Pilot said:

No, everyone that had personal information on the laptop needs to file a big lawsuit against the agency AND the person that was in charge of said computer. I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers out there that could make it work.

T-Gates said:
Hmmm...I got my last type rating issued from a FL FSDO within the past couple months.....wonder if I'll be getting a letter.
Yes, some dude or chick will be living the life on your credit rating because they assumed your identity. You'll be getting the bill in the mail.

Thanks to the, "If you've got nothing to hide, you won't mind eavesdropping and intelligence gathering" crowd, you are now going to be paying off other people's extravagant lifestyle.

agpilot34 said:
No, everyone that had personal information on the laptop needs to file a big lawsuit against the agency AND the person that was in charge of said computer. I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers out there that could make it work.

I Can see it now, sue the agency then they pass the buck to us! Raise the cost of every things or add charges to every thing. The only person that will make money or get something out of it is the dam lawyers!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back