Computer Program Used in Airforce Pilot Selection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Carlton

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I wanted to write a computer program which simulates the type of computer tests(co-ordination I guess they are) that you normally sit if you want to become an airforce pilot . Some airlines use them as well. There are two tests one is where dots fall from the top of screen and you catch them with a cursor.

The second test you try to keep a ball in a cross hair using a joystick and rudder pedals .

Project is in initial stages but i am thinking of writing the program in visual basic or Java. Anyone got any tips on the way to go here?
[/font]

1) When designing the testing equipment, make sure to punch holes in the foil helmet for ventilation.

2) Try to work in a BBQ question or two.

Last edited:
Thanks Big Six you made me laugh . I didn't really expect much of a response from this forum because I don't think you use these things in the US. I know the RAF,and RAAF use them . They are computer games that you play and the selection people think they can determine whether or not you are cut out to be an airforce pilot by measuring your co-ordination responses etc.

Carlton -

Sorry man, I hope you know I was just bustin' your chops. It was late and I was tired....

Sounds like an interesting endeavor. I took the BAT test myself when I went into the USAF. I think the challenges for you are to find out what each of the tests actually were (are they classified?), what each of the tests were actually measuring and how they evaluate their data.

Good luck!

BD,

No worries mate. The tests aren't classied - thats to the best of my knowledge. But they are written by the UK defence department who let the RAF, RAAF and various airlines in the UK and OZ use them under license.

The first test you get this string of dots which drop from the top of the screen in sine wave type strings you control a cursor which you can move left/right and try to catch as many as you can as they fall down the screen.
The other test is the crosshair/dot test. The dot wants to move randomly around the screen and you have to try and keep it on some crosshairs that are fixed in the middle of the screen. The controls you have to move the dot are rudder pedals(left/right) and a joystick (up/down). Obviously some kind of score is calculated .

Fulcrum,

I'm in Oz so I probably can't help with the multi time. If you have good IT skills that should make you very attractive to charter companies. Multi time in Oz is hard to get.But if you have a degree you could immigrate to Oz and apply to Qantas , and Virginblue- both are hiring . Could you do this project?

Big Duke Six said:
1) When designing the testing equipment, make sure to punch holes in the foil helmet for ventilation.

2) Try to work in a BBQ question or two.
BBQ? You're kidding, right? For military, it's all about the BEER! Make sure to put a few questions in about how to tell the difference between stout, pale, and lager. :D

Hell, just have the candidate boot up "Doom", "Donkey Kong", any game will test hand-eye coordination. If there's no external pressure (as in aircraft fire, AAA, SAM's) it doesn't seem like a test with any validity. My 13 yr old son would literally kick a$$ on any test of this type, but he sure doesn't have the ability, at his age, to be a pilot.

I don't mean to make light of your efforts. I think Visual Basic would be ideal. Best of luck to you!:)

Latest resources

Back