• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compressor Stall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's when the fan in your air conditioner's compressor (outside your house) stops spinning. You have to go outside and hand prop it to start it again.

In simple terms, turbine blades in a turbine engine require correct airlfow over them in order to operate efficiently...much like a wing.

When this airflow is disrupted, such as with extreme angles of attack, inadequate airflow, etc.. the compressor (s) (blades) will stall....

It commonly occurs when take off thrust is applied and a sudden cross wind occurs across the engine inlet, disrupting the airlow. Lots of banging and erratic engine indications.

Another common occurrance is when a flight crew attempts an engine start at or very near the tail-wind component limit for starting.

Compressor stalls can also occur during flight. And a classic example is the RJ that crashed several months ago after a dual flame-out.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Last edited:
netjets_pilot said:
It's when the fan in your air conditioner's compressor (outside your house) stops spinning. You have to go outside and hand prop it to start it again.

Hey dude, shouldn't you be at a picket line that no one cares about?

Yeah, I thought so.

ultrarunner said:
In simple terms, turbine blades in a turbine engine require correct airlfow over them in order to operate efficiently...much like a wing.

When this airflow is disrupted, such as with extreme angles of attack, inadequate airflow, etc.. the compressor (s) (blades) will stall....

It commonly occurs when take off thrust is applied and a sudden cross wind occurs across the engine inlet, disrupting the airlow. Lots of banging and erratic engine indications.

Another common occurrance is when a flight crew attempts an engine start at or very near the tail-wind component limit for starting.

Compressor stalls can also occur during flight. And a classic example is the RJ that crashed several months ago after a dual flame-out.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks!

ultrarunner said:
Hey dude, shouldn't you be at a picket line that no one cares about?

Yeah, I thought so.

Plenty of people care. But thanks for your opinion. Tell you what. If you're such a tough guy, why don't you email me your name. Just your name, nothing else. But you have to be honest about it. That way, when your airplane gets sold out from underneath you because your boss decided to goto to NetJets or dies, or goes out of business.... I'll remember your name when you apply and come in for an interview. You see, this is a small industry. We all win run into one another someday. If you're man enough to give me your name, I feel sorry for you if you ever think of applying to us or say... Southwest. You see, Southwest is full of ex-Netjets pilots and once a name is put on that blacklist, you're done.

You sound like a SCAB or a potential SCAB to me by making comments about a brother picketing for what he believes in.

So how about it? Got balls?

flyboyzz1 said:

NO Prob flyboy...

Here is another reference that has a good discussion about it. Knowledge is power...

enjoy the reading...

<http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-92798-3849/unrestricted/etd2.pdf>

ultrarunner said:

I don't understand this a lot and haven't found anything in books to really explain it.

Okay...so if you're flyin along in a 152 and yank back as hard as you can, you'd stall (at or below Va) because you increase the AOA beyond the critical AOA...

So..do the compressor blades (angle) actually change? Are they fixed? How do they "stall"?

-mini

Do the blades actually stall (i.e. is a critical angle of attack exceeded because of the airflow direction) or is there just not enough air getting into the combustion chamber? I always thought the flame that's visible is fuel igniting after a screwy fuel/air ratio caused by insufficient air volume.

I suppose a blade stall would cause such a condition, but I never thought of it that way.

Latest resources

Back