• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Competive Times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The minimum flight times depends on your background. My new hire class in 2001 covered the broad spectrum of flight time. A couple of the civilian guys had between 6000 and 10000 hours. And the youngster of the class who was military had around 2000 hours. But he has soft hands and is an excellent dancer (so I have been told.) He reads this everyday so he will get a chuckle.

As far as walking resumes in. That practice is no longer acceptable here. It is all done online. They really don't even want the line slugs talking to them about individuals they are recommending (e.g. phone calls, walkins.) They allow us to do an online recommendation and that is it. If you have a management buddy however it might be a different ballgame.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Big Beer Belly said:
His question should tip most anyone that all he wants is to bait people ...

Sorry, thought the sarcasm and absurdity of my post was obvious, apparently not.

Exactly BBB! This guys is either a baiter or just totally clueless to how the industry works. Probably both!

Oh by the way, are you going to bid the -400 later this year? It might be a good deal like what happened to the MD-11 guys. Bid it, get trained and never fly!!!

Last edited:
FreightNazi said:
Exactly BBB! This guys is either a baiter or just totally clueless to how the industry works. Probably both!

Oh by the way, are you going to bid the -400 later this year? It might be a good deal like what happened to the MD-11 guys. Bid it, get trained and never fly!!!

Actually, since I'm already "living the dream" <g> (you know, hanging out late at night with hundreds of my favorite friends, spilling coffee on my neat brown polyester getup ... well, just too many charms to list ...) it's hard to imagine this whole fantasy life that I've created for myself getting any finer!

Also, the guilt over receiving a pay check (the one that needs to get SUBSTANTIALLY LARGER with our next contract!) and not putting in a full day's labor would just make it unbearable.

Sure hope your premonition on the -400 comes true though!

BBB

I'm going to go out on a limb and actually predict good things here at UPS in 2005. I think we will get a good contract sooner than later and with the announced new aircraft and the VERY PROBABLE announcement soon of 747-400s, newhire classes of 15-20 every 20-25 days, it should be a good year for everyone in brown.

Last edited:
56Olds said:
I'm42 said:
Most of the military pilots I've encountered seem to have an ego that exceeds their abilities as a pilot. Of course many of the crappy civilian-trained pilots I've encountered seem to have the same problem.....I have a hard time differentiating between the two groups usually.

There are very good civilian pilots and military pilots, but on a whole, civilian pilots never had the opportunity to train like some military pilots. Civilan pilots probaly have shot more approaches down to mins than military pilots. However, civilian pilots never had to air refuel, ingress at night on a 300AGL low level, drop bombs on a target, get shot at by a SAM fly back to base and then shoot an approach to mins.
Different experiances, all good, but on average mil time is about equal to 3x as much civil time. I totally respect the civilian pilots that worked their way up to the big jets.

Cheers

There I was flat on my back.................... gimme a break. Well trained civilian pilots are just a competant as the military ones. And how many military pilots fly tactical missions?

However, civilian pilots never had to air refuel, ingress at night on a 300AGL low level, drop bombs on a target, get shot at by a SAM fly back to base and then shoot an approach to mins.

I don't know. We do it all the time getting the boss to secret meetings. Good for me as I know these skills will help me while flying freight into Altoona or LAX as not to be seen by the gangs of New York with their shoulder fired nerf guns.

Being a civilian pilot ("militarily challenged" for you guys that drop bombs), I have a unique perspective since my brother flew F-14's. I have found that after reviewing the above opinions and spending countless minutes arguing with my brother over the same points, that it doesn't matter wether you have a military or civilian background. What matters is wether or not you are an "A**HOLE". It is the "A**HOLE" pilot that turns a four day pairing into eight.

Thank you Wes!! That should (but most likely won't) put an end this never ending discussion and I couldn't agree more!!

BD

Being a civilian pilot ("militarily challenged" for you guys that What matters is wether or not you are an "A**HOLE". It is the "A**HOLE" pilot that turns a four day pairing into eight.[/QUOTE]

Only four days, huh? Must be nice. Your right, it is the person that you fly with makes those days a more pleasant one or one that is he11. So, at the fracs, we say "it makes those 8 days seem like 16!
icon12.gif

The main difference between civilian pilots and military pilots is that civilians don't use words like "ingress". But I digress, so let me egress outta here......

Latest resources

Back