Competitive stats at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Launchpad

I'm curious as to how many people are anxiously awaiting the Jan 12th application date. The last time SWA hired was there 3000 apps on file, 10,000? How many or what was the percentage of apps with types to those without? Has anyone ever kept track of stats like this?

Just curious.

Rough numbers

Prior to the window closing the "very rough" numbers of apps w/types vs. w/o types were around 3300 apps w/o types & around 6-800 apps w/types. Nothing scientific, just rumors & rough numbers that are now somewhat obsolete & rather worthless when compared to what will come on 12 Jan.

This inevitable question drives folks crazy & it shouldn't. What has been laid out there pretty clearly are the FACTORS that do make a difference. They've been highlighted before. Knowing what %s of the past have occurred aren't relevant in my opinion to these times since the circumstances are so different.

Things you can control, do something about it; flying time, currency, types, LORs.

Things you can't do anything about: what the other apps look like, a past negative that you can't change (have a good explanation of the details & don't hide it), leaving a previous job under less than stellar conditions, etc. are things that shouldn't bother an applicant.

Human nature is such that the latter is hard to do & not worry over but it can come through on an interview if you're not careful. Sorry if it sounds preachy, the exact numbers aren't out there.

Great, thanks for the response. I'm just trying to get the big picture about hiring... past present and future. I realize the old number will be different than the new ones, I was just curious.

Also, currency and flying time are while on furlough are not out of my control, but they are definately more difficult to control if you know what I mean. I'm signed up at HPA in January, can't wait to get this ball rolling.

F'ed-

A type will definetly make you more competitive, but your qualifications will not affect your outcome as much as your attitude.

Your screen name says alot about the way you view your current situation.

SWA is very worried about importing "cancer." Unfortunetly you can't do much about a furlough, etc. but you can do something about your attitude. (I not saying you have a negative attitude, just cautioning against it) It will shine through if you do.

SWA does hire former "major" pilots, but expect them to be a little pickier in the next few years regarding "formers" due to concerns about importing "cancer."

Good luck on your type and at SWA.

Last edited:
hopeful said:
Your qualifications will not affect your outcome as much as your attitude.

SWA is very worried about importing "cancer." Unfortunetly you can't do much about a furlough, etc. but you can do something about your attitude. (I not saying you have a negative attitude, just cautioning against it) It will shine through if you do.

SWA does hire former "major" pilots, but expect them to be a little pickier in the next few years regarding "formers" due to concerns about importing "cancer."

Good luck on your type and at SWA.

daymn, I gotta say, that's some mean sh!t

SWA

I know a number of high time furloughed US Airways pilots that were not selected by SWA last year.

It's going to be a tough next few years!

Happy Holidays to all!

hopeful said:

That depends if the missing letters are-
uck or urlough

For all interested in my misleading screen name. Substitute furloughed or any other F word that you choose, it really has nothing to do with my attitude or current situation. It was actually a suggested bag sticker slogan a while back, I just thought it was a funny play on words.

I've had over a dozen jobs since 9/11, and to be honest I just want to fly airplanes for a living just like most of the rest of the people on this board. SWA has painted a rosier picture looking towards the future than any other airline and I guess thats why I want to work there.

No attitude intended....

Peace out-

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back