Competition for DayJet in Florida - Satsair SR22 Expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flywrite -- chill! Jeez…

From the mouth of A&P at a Cirrus Service Center with 40+ years of experience "Give them another 6-7 years and they might have something." They are making a ton of money on Cirrus mx.

Just how many "catastrophic airframe failures" have happened out of the blue? I really have no idea. But I do know that several have happened for some other reason, like exceeding load limits. On a side note, I understand that it’s usually the negative limit that is exceeded. The CAPS system is a "+" when the aircraft is being flown by an inexperienced pilot who makes poor decisions -- unless the aircraft really is a P.O.S. For 135, the pilot shouldn't be an issue. Forget about the traffic pattern stall/spin scenario because the aircraft is too low for deployment. Scratch the enroute structural failures, too, because if you are scooting around at 180 kts and the wing falls off, what is the likelihood that you will be able to slow to the 130 or so kts max chute speed? The chute isn't the answer.

I believe that Andrew_VT was discussing other spin-tested, non-parachute-requiring “modern, glass cockpit single” and not a “40-year-old POS Apache.” The Columbia, G36, Saratoga, 6X, and the Cessna 206 – all fit that bill. Here are some facts:

Staying with the non-turbo models with AC
SR22 GTS: $449,995
Columbia 350SLX: $485,900

six-seaters that can carry more....
G36: $ 690,910
Saratoga II HP: $594,380
6X: $533,280
206H: $476,600

apples-to-apples with other 4-seaters…
182T: $351,600
Ovation 2GX: $438,000 (ac?)

The SR22 GTS is not the most expensive, but almost $100k more than the least expensive model.

Also, we sometimes have people that book two planes for 3-6 people going the same place. Still cheaper than a King Air.

FYI-Though occasionally a SATSair trip cannot go without a fuel stop with 3 pax, there are no occasions of 'only enough payload for one passenger and bags'. Generally if a customer needs to move 3 people and a lot of bags 300 nm they will get a King Air. However, if they need to send two people 150 nm and return that evening, the SR22 works great at a fraction of the cost. It's called a niche market and it works.

Andrew VT,
I've gotta disagree with ya.
I used to instruct in the Bonanza A36 and I've flown the Lancair Columbia 300 multiple times.
I've also flown the Cirrus SR22 and it was easily the best on the three. It was more comfortable, it flies better, it had more automation, and of course the parachute is a fine feature.
The Cirrus was faster than the A36 Bonanza, but slower than the Lancair. It was also quieter in the cockpit than the Bonanza.
I've never flown a Mooney, so I can't comment on that.

Early on when I started flying the Cirrus, I flew some guys into Pinehurst for the U.S. Open and was surrounded by other fly guys who were suitably impressed with the avionics, the parachute system and the overall qulaity of the aircraft. Mind you, these were Captains of Falcons, Lears, Gulfstreams etc who all said that it was an incredible value for the money, really impressive for such a small aircraft, etc---you fill in the blanks. There was a kid sitting there who was getting ready to take a lesson toward his Private and he proceeded to spout off about how HE was never going to trust all those new-fangled computer screens and such and he preferred his 172 because it was a much better aircraft! When the assembled crews AND his instructor (who was a Korean War-era military guy and then all the heavy iron career afterward credentials) stopped laughing they told him that once he actually knew what he was talking about he would know how wrong he was!

It's always amazing to me how people can be SO "lead from the front" in their criticism of stuff they know absolutely nothing about! Catholic priests tell people how to raise their kids, old men preach to young girls in trouble about what they should think about abortions and guys who have never done anything more than bang around the traffic pattern with a student saying "flare a bit more this time" are suddenly experts on what makes a viable aircraft for 135 work. I've had just enough Corona tonight to tell ya that if you haven't been out there watching your wings flexing in 60 kt winds flying freight, had to balance your take on the weather and that approaching squall line against how long it's going to take to load all those bags your pax just brought, or had to shoot your 3rd or 4th approach of the day down to dead mins and wished you had an autopilot to help ease the workload---pipe down. Somebody on here has a tag line about experience being something you have to earn, not something that can ever be bought, borrowed or given to ya---if you don't have any, ya might wanna think about how ridiculous it makes you look to comment on things you don't understand to others who actually have put in the time and endured the trouble to acquire it. I know I'm probably talking to the wall, but I gotta tell you---if you don't like something, then make that your personal limit that you won't do it, buy it or fly it....but to bust on something you don't even have any firsthand knowledge of is asinine. Abraham Lincoln once said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and confirm the fact"---I can't think of anything more apropos for some of you young guys.

Flame on.

Last edited:
It's only $420 an hour when the block package is purchased -- which is what most of the customers opt for. Also, there isn't any charge for dead legs.

How so? The retail rate is $595/hr. According to Charter Hub, you can get a King Air 200 for $925/hr.

Early on when I started flying the Cirrus, I flew some guys into Pinehurst for the U.S. Open and was surrounded by other fly guys who were suitably impressed with the avionics, the parachute system and the overall qulaity of the aircraft. Mind you, these were Captains of Falcons, Lears, Gulfstreams etc who all said that it was an incredible value for the money, really impressive for such a small aircraft, etc---you fill in the blanks. There was a kid sitting there who was getting ready to take a lesson toward his Private and he proceeded to spout off about how HE was never going to trust all those new-fangled computer screens and such and he preferred his 172 because it was a much better aircraft! When the assembled crews AND his instructor (who was a Korean War-era military guy and then all the heavy iron career afterward credentials) stopped laughing they told him that once he actually knew what he was talking about he would know how wrong he was!

It's always amazing to me how people can be SO "lead from the front" in their criticism of stuff they know absolutely nothing about! Catholic priests tell people how to raise their kids, old men preach to young girls in trouble about what they should think about abortions and guys who have never done anything more than bang around the traffic pattern with a student saying "flare a bit more this time" are suddenly experts on what makes a viable aircraft for 135 work. I've had just enough Corona tonight to tell ya that if you haven't been out there watching your wings flexing in 60 kt winds flying freight, had to balance your take on the weather and that approaching squall line against how long it's going to take to load all those bags your pax just brought, or had to shoot your 3rd or 4th approach of the day down to dead mins and wished you had an autopilot to help ease the workload---pipe down. Somebody on here has a tag line about experience being something you have to earn, not something that can ever be bought, borrowed or given to ya---if you don't have any, ya might wanna think about how ridiculous it makes you look to comment on things you don't understand to others who actually have put in the time and endured the trouble to acquire it. I know I'm probably talking to the wall, but I gotta tell you---if you don't like something, then make that your personal limit that you won't do it, buy it or fly it....but to bust on something you don't even have any firsthand knowledge of is asinine. Abraham Lincoln once said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and confirm the fact"---I can't think of anything more apropos for some of you young guys.

Flame on.

AMEN...

I've never flown a Mooney, so I can't comment on that.

I've flown both, the Cirrus is not as fast as an Ovation, but it's much more comfortable from a passenger's perspective. The Mooney is my favorite airplane of those I've flown for any period of time, but if I had the disposible income to afford either, I would probably buy a Cirrus. Of course I haven't flown the Garmin Mooney.

The other day we had an urgent need to get up to St. Pete and when we could not borrow a twin from anyone, decided to take a Cirrus from the flight school. At 6 ' 5 " and 255, I found the aircraft very comfortable. I flew the up leg and sat in the back for the return. The Columbia, Lancair, or Mooney are no comparison for comfort to someone my size.
It was 1.3 up there so just under 3 hours round trip. It would have been 4.7 to drive one way.
While we were using it for flight school rates, if we had been paying the charter rate above, it would have been about $1200 for the trip. Driving, we would have left early, spent money on car and gas, and most likely spent the night. Two rooms and meals $300 to $400, come back the next day, more gas and oil, and two full days blown for a one hour meeting. It would have been worth it. In our case, the aircraft cost us a little under $500 as we had the instructor for free so we would be legal. Definitely worth it and it would have been in a 172 as well.

Latest resources

Back