• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to clarify, I am in the right seat, roughly in the middle of the list, and live at domicile, however there is no upgrade in sight, and we've got a pretty pathetic second and third year payscale with no perdiem. I guess I'll see what they have to say.

On the bright side of Compass.. They are almost staffed entirely by former Indy folks, all of wheich are very dedicted and pleasant to work with/for.. they are all passionate about Compass and seem to care, something that is missing at many other carriers...
For those of us not use to the high cost of living in the NE, it can be quite a shock.. and prevented me from accepting work there when they started up a few years back..

If your young, go to the interview, see the place, get the info.. it may be just right for you having already lived in the area.. GL

For those of us not use to the high cost of living in the NE, it can be quite a shock..

when they started up a few years back

High cost of living in the Compass bases; Detroit, Minni, and Memphis? Not hardly, and I wouldnt even remotely consider them in the north east. While not the cheapest places in the US to live they are by far not the most expensive.

And Compass has only been operating for around 1 year, maybe slightly longer(1.5 years).

I would go to the interview and potentially take the job if I were you. Look past the first year pay, which could be more than you make on second or third year pay at colgan when you figure in per-diem. A lot of majors are wanting glass cockpit, FMS, turbojet time and not turbo prop time any more as the job market is so competitive.

So just wondering, what can you expect to make first year at Compass with Rig, per diem, overtime, etc? Avg bi-weekly or annually.

I wouldn't leave a left seat anywhere to go to compass. I'd only go there is I was on the bottom of another regional list and lived in one of their domiciles.

I'd be scared of any affiliation with the red-tail. Their management is ruthless. Yet another horrible hand-job of a giant rj pay rate.

And finally...Furloughs looming at NW. If they lay off 200, say bye-bye.

Furloughs looming eh? I guess you didn't read the part about NWA rules having to equal DL work rules, which will immediately ADD jobs. There are also plenty of widebody Captains at NWA leaving each month thanks to the NWA retirement medical premiums being cheaper now prior to the corporate closing rather than afterwards. This is all happening NOW.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Furloughs looming eh? I guess you didn't read the part about NWA rules having to equal DL work rules, which will immediately ADD jobs. There are also plenty of widebody Captains at NWA leaving each month thanks to the NWA retirement medical premiums being cheaper now prior to the corporate closing rather than afterwards. This is all happening NOW.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When is a possible time for the Delta work rules ( in this case manning requirements ) to become effective at NWA thus = the need for pilots?

AWK was saying approx 400 needed just for the manning rules. Add the 737s and 777s and it seems like there will be hiring later this year.

When is a possible time for the Delta work rules ( in this case manning requirements ) to become effective at NWA thus = the need for pilots?

AWK was saying approx 400 needed just for the manning rules. Add the 737s and 777s and it seems like there will be hiring later this year.

The DCC, or date of corporate closing. That will likely occur sometime in the beginning of next year. The Joint Contract is still be voted on, and I think it will eventually pass (maybe close on the DL side, but I think it will pass). As soon as that happens, the contract will be in effect. But, the lists won't actually be merged until the certificates are merged, which will likely take 9-12 months from DCC. So, Delta and NWA will probably seperately hire sometime next year, thanks to a shortfall in pilots and new airplanes being added. (barring a large catastrophe or oil at $200 a barrel)

Bye Bye--General Lee

The DCC, or date of corporate closing. That will likely occur sometime in the beginning of next year. The Joint Contract is still be voted on, and I think it will eventually pass (maybe close on the DL side, but I think it will pass). As soon as that happens, the contract will be in effect. But, the lists won't actually be merged until the certificates are merged, which will likely take 9-12 months from DCC. So, Delta and NWA will probably seperately hire sometime next year, thanks to a shortfall in pilots and new airplanes being added. (barring a large catastrophe or oil at $200 a barrel)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thanks Lee!

Assuming you are a 121 pilot already (since that is what they are hiring mostly), hop on our cockpit jumpseat and find out for yourself. I think you will enjoy the experience. It is still a regional flying a mainline equivalent aircraft for regional wages. Everybody there is well aware of what we are - seat warmers for mainline furloughs. That being said, I am enjoying the flying and the crews. Please come by and find out for yourself.

I don't think too many people are crazy enough to go to Compass these days considering that their job is on the chopping block the minute mainline starts any kind of a furlough.

With thousands of furloughed Aloha/ATA/Champion and others still on the street, I doubt many would rush to commute for $23/hour job only to get furloughed again the minute mainline starts to furlough.

All this for a chance to bypass an interview process at NWA/Delta?

Not worth it unless you are a low timer... just IMO.

Most of our new hire classes have been staffed with Aloha/ATA/Champion pilots. No place is safe right now but Compass is a good place to come if your looking for a job. Schedules aren't great but are commutable. There are risks coming here however it also has the best promise of any regional right now. Good luck with your decision.

Latest resources

Back