Compass!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

steve3137

Anyone on here that is at compass, could you please tell me how you like it there? Likes dislikes. I have an interview coming up. How are hte lines? Are they commutable? Pay during training. Any info would be great thanks.

Middling to crappy contract; ok pay for a regional airline but inadequate for a 76 seat jet; mostly decent crew schedulers; lines have gone downhill & nobody is looking forward to PBS; perpetually understaffed due to no-show newhires, should catch up by the end of the year and make life more bearable.

Could be a long upgrade for anyone hired right now...absent additional aircraft orders (unlikely I think) it'll be 100% based on attrition.

Middling to crappy contract; ok pay for a regional airline but inadequate for a 76 seat jet; mostly decent crew schedulers; lines have gone downhill & nobody is looking forward to PBS; perpetually understaffed due to no-show newhires, should catch up by the end of the year and make life more bearable.

Could be a long upgrade for anyone hired right now...absent additional aircraft orders (unlikely I think) it'll be 100% based on attrition.

Would you rather be back at Horizon on the Dash-8-400? Are you in the left seat now at Compass? Is there anything you like at Compass? Are you glad you made the move?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Would you leave a place like say colgan for them? I have an interview with them coming up and have been back and forth on this. I'm not in danger of furlough, but the prospects here are not very good at all. Just looking for advice, perspective

Last edited:
I'd go to the interview and see what they have to say and base my decision afterwards. I'd be highly skeptical about leaving a good left seat job with seniority to be at the bottom of the compass list. A few things to consider with the NW-DL merger is that there will probably be some deep cuts to the regional feed. if there are furloughs at NW (or DL if the TA passes) those mainline pilots have unlimited flowdown rights to compass and 8 slots at Mesaba i think. This alone could put almost every compass pilot on property on the street! Some thoughs to ponder...

I don't think too many people are crazy enough to go to Compass these days considering that their job is on the chopping block the minute mainline starts any kind of a furlough.

With thousands of furloughed Aloha/ATA/Champion and others still on the street, I doubt many would rush to commute for $23/hour job only to get furloughed again the minute mainline starts to furlough.

All this for a chance to bypass an interview process at NWA/Delta?

Not worth it unless you are a low timer... just IMO.

Would you rather be back at Horizon on the Dash-8-400? Are you in the left seat now at Compass? Is there anything you like at Compass? Are you glad you made the move?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, looking at the Contract and Payrates the Horizon Q400's pay is much better then the Compass 175.

I would guess he left Horizon for a faster upgrade.

I wouldn't leave a left seat anywhere to go to compass. I'd only go there is I was on the bottom of another regional list and lived in one of their domiciles.

I'd be scared of any affiliation with the red-tail. Their management is ruthless. Yet another horrible hand-job of a giant rj pay rate.

And finally...Furloughs looming at NW. If they lay off 200, say bye-bye.

I wouldn't leave a left seat anywhere to go to compass. I'd only go there is I was on the bottom of another regional list and lived in one of their domiciles.

I'd be scared of any affiliation with the red-tail. Their management is ruthless. Yet another horrible hand-job of a giant rj pay rate. That's why we need to get these aircraft at mainline, the new DAL payscale includes a rate for the "giant RJ's" that are much better.

And finally...Furloughs looming at NW. If they lay off 200, say bye-bye.

Furloughs looming at NWA??? Where do you get this info? Beside Southwest, the new DAL will be one of the few safe places to work (barring any catastrophe).

NWA just awarded 50 early retirements(many more applied). Also, 80+ leaves(many more applied), anywhere from 1 to 3 months in length, were awarded.

There is 24 month no furlough protection in the new contract.

DAL pilot staffing model per aircraft will leave NWA short on pilots.

The new DAL has a 70 hr/month reserve guarantee which is less than NWA's 75 hr/month, therefore requiring more pilots(no furlough).

We are keeping DC-9-40 and -50's while taking delivery of 737-700's, 777's and, eventually, 787's (787 depends on DAL management...they don't like it, for now). Maybe this will create the need to hire in the near future.

Although I'd like to see Compass(and XJ) included in the SLI discussions, it is unlikely in foreseeable negotiations.

To the original poster: if an offer is extended, base your decision on how you feel about Compass after the interview. Having options during slower times is always a plus.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back