• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass today lost the cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've declared three times, never heard a thing about it. Trucks followed me to the gate, someone from CFR took my name, that's it.

Can anyone tell me when a crew got violated for declaring an emergency? That seems like a slippery slope to me. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just curious.

Same here. Nothing ever came about in my situation either.

So I'm flying along today in NY airspace and compass comes on and says he's lost "cabin pressurisation". He seemed calm and not like he was wearing a mask so I figure he's okay and he means his cabin is starting to climb.

He asks for 10,000 but ATC can only give him 15k. A few minuets later compass comes back and says now he has a cabin pressure warning going off and would like 10,000. At this point ATC says, "compass, I'm declaring an emergency for you, turn right (some heading) and descend 10,000" and the discussion turns on where to divert.

My point of posting this is this:

Why are pilots so freaking hesitant to declare a freaking emergency?

Here is the criteria for those who may not know;

A. The safe outcome of the flight is at all uncertain, or

B. You need to excecute a maneuver right now without ATC clearance.

This one is clearly B. You lose or start to lose the cabin and can't get control then you need down...now. You are about to fly into magenta on your radar? You need a turn and if ATC says unable you say "I am declaring an emergency and turning to xxx heading"

There seems to be a common thought with many pilots that it's bad, or wrong, or weak, or who knows what to declare an emergency. And if ATC ever has to declare an emergency for you then odds are pretty strong that you're not doing your job of declaring yourself and you let the situation go way too far.

Remember "Flagship" and their little adventure from FL410? More guys refusing to just declare it and get the help they needed. And for no reason.

Without explosive decompression you have a long time until cabin pressure is an issue.

Really no need to declare an emergency.

Reminds me when I was an FO and some IAD controller on some high horse. We had nasty weather in front of us. We gave him heads up that in 10 miles we were gonna need a turn to the south. He never came back to us. So 8 miles I clicked on and said we are gonna need a turn to the south for weather. Still he ignored us.
Then my Captain looked at me and said tell him one more time. So I did and the guy smarts back and says "unable."
My Captain Calmly looks at me turns to the south....... At the same time clicks on the radio and says we are declaring an emergency and turning to heading 180. He follows it up by saying we are turning south and have fixed our problem now you can fix yours!!! LOL The guy was one of those Captains that you'd always want to fly with and be.
Then an American Airlines Pilot clicked on and said he was doing the same.... Ahhh how sweet!
We never had any problems.... But my Captain Noted the time and the Freq. and made some calls. Seems they had some problems with this controller.

I've declared and had an emergency declared for me, nobody ever called… Grow a pair, declare.

Declared emergencies several times with no call from the feds or anyone else. a more likely call would be asking why you didn't declare an emergency and use all resources available. I think a lot of it is pilots scared of filling out paperwork

And that's the point.

When did pilots become more fearful of paperwork than of the environment they work?

When I posted this I gave the condensed version and my post still went pretty long. I left out the 3 minutes or so between reporting the cabin warning and ATC declaring the emergency for him. They were chatting about airports, aircraft that are being cleared so they can get lower and what not. The whole time I was thinking, "just declare and get down!" finally ATC did it for him.

I've probably declared a dozen or so emergencies from smoke in the cabin to shut down engines to flight control surface issues. Never had anyone ever question it.

Latest resources

Back