Compass to fly from Dulles near D.C.
September 12, 2006
  • img_icon_email.gif
    Email this
  • img_icon_print.gif
    Print this
BY JEWEL GOPWANI
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Northwest Airlines Inc. came a step closer Monday to starting its new commuter carrier, a key part of its restructuring plan.
The U.S. Department of Transportation said it plans to let the Northwest subsidiary, Compass Airlines, start flying out of Dulles International Airport in Virginia in October.
The department opened a 14-day window to hear objections.
Northwest, which has been reorganizing under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for nearly a year, plans to use the subsidiary to fly passengers to its hubs -- Detroit; Minneapolis and Memphis, Tenn. -- and a network of small and midsize cities.
Compass would use Federal Aviation Administration certification that Northwest bought for $2 million from Independence Air, which closed its Dulles-based operation in January.
"The DOT action is another key milestone in the certification process of Compass Airlines," Northwest said.
In documents filed Monday, the Department of Transportation said Northwest plans to start flights between Dulles and Minneapolis using a 50-seat jet in October, a launch date that has been pushed back twice.
Northwest had applied for permission to start Compass operations at the end of March.
By March next year, the airline expects to start flying 76-seat planes -- a size Northwest has said better fits demand in small and midsize cities compared to 34-, 50- and 69-seat planes its other commuters fly and Northwest's smallest plane, a 100-seat DC9.

From where did the crew come? Trained Where? Hired when? Contract or do they just put dimes in a meter?

Thanks Duane!

And thanks to our alpa betters at nwa, who "had" to give this to mgmt. or "they will liquidate".
Bu****it. They traded this for bargaining credit to save pensions, jobs, etc.
Life is tough, but it makes alpa, and woerth look silly to be setting up "fee for departure task forces" and advocating for "brand scope", when he just turns around and signs the outsourcing and whipsawing of our jobs. He condemns mgmt. for the most egregious bankruptcy ever, then allows mgmt. and mainline alpa to whipsaw. We don't need that kind of help.

His days as presidente' of alpa are numbered....
Hope all at msa are actively looking elsewhere...Our days are numbered too.

I guarantee ALPA won't lay a single soul off regardless of what happens to mainline NWA pilots, Pinnacle Pilots, or any other poor bums who happen to be in the way of this ALPA-induced fiasco. Some jacksaw mentioned something about bringing ALPA to our airline, and I wanted to beat him into an overhead bin.

Shy

I would really like to know who is going to be flying these planes since training takes 2 months and october 1st is in 2 weeks.

ShyFlyGuy said:
I guarantee ALPA won't lay a single soul off regardless of what happens to mainline NWA pilots, Pinnacle Pilots, or any other poor bums who happen to be in the way of this ALPA-induced fiasco. Some jacksaw mentioned something about bringing ALPA to our airline, and I wanted to beat him into an overhead bin.

Shy
Of any airline that needs union protection, it is your airline. That is the most pitiful excuse of so called management in the world over at the mess called Colon, sorry Colgan. I am so glad not to be there anymore, as tense as things are at ASA, they are 150 times better than there.

Detroitpilot22 said:
I would really like to know who is going to be flying these planes since training takes 2 months and october 1st is in 2 weeks.

I'd like to know too....

Latest resources

Back