• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass New Hire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are paid for most of training. They don't pay much during the first 30 days which is train at home on the computer.

They don't provide hotels in base, and they make everyone MSP based for training. Just like papa Northwest you are MSP to train but not always for your flying base.

What do you mean train at home? So you just do ground school at home and then show up for the oral and sim?

You are paid for most of training. They don't pay much during the first 30 days which is train at home on the computer.

They don't provide hotels in base, and they make everyone MSP based for training. Just like papa Northwest you are MSP to train but not always for your flying base.

I was provided a hotel, per diem, and positive space to and from home every weekend when I started at papa Northwest. I was also paid over 80 hours/month, but unfortunately I only made $30/hour.

Does anyone know if Compass is particular about whether or not an applicant has recall rights or is on a LOA from another carrier? I work at NetJets and we may be furloughing if enough guys don't do the early retirement. One of the options is taking a 3 year LOA where they pay you $1,000 a month and health benefits whether your number comes up for furlough or not. I'd like to get back into 121 in the long term, and Compass seems like a decent operation...so I was thinking about applying then taking the 3 year LOA.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts are to just quit NJA now... Save a number for someone else who really wants it....I can see wanting to get to a major because flying 91/135 isn't their thing..But to want to leave NJ for a regional..That has to be a first....You must still be in your 20"s with no wife or kid...Or you married $$$$..Or your parents have $$$$..which is it, I gotta know...

I can understand taking a leave, but to actually think Compass would be better long term than coming back to NJ..Regionals must have changed for the better in the last 3 years?

H.ell just the free food alone makes this job better than a regional...

Well, you're right about part of that. I am in my 20s and single. The advantage of taking the 3 year LOA they're offering is that you lock in $1,000 a month and free health insurance for 3 years, and even if your number comes up for furlough, you keep that. If I stay and gamble on not getting furloughed and end up getting furloughed, I get nothing but unemployment and start a job search with that many more competitors out there. That's basically my logic.

Oh, and by the way, I'm kind of worn out on flying with 60-70 year olds. Literally. It would be a nice break to go rejoin my own age group for a few years. I was at CHQ before. I don't miss their pay, benefits, and Bedford's religious memos...but I miss the people I worked with.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending...I'm barely outta my 20's myself..except I gotta wife and kid to worry about now..

I understand the part about locking in a grand a month and getting another gig...I thought, and am still thinking about it too. Except I have the added weight of the fam. to consider, which makes moving to an island a bit difficult.

But I was thrown off by the part about staying at a place like Compass (again, no disrespect to Compass). It sounded like that was what you want to do! I flew at a few regionals, including Comair. I'd say that the average age of people at Comair was well above those at NJ.. of course we have the really old dudes. But most of the guys I fly with are in their late 30's or mid-40's..

It sucks being younger than everybody else, and having the same "seasoned" guys thinking you don't know s.hit.. I started in the airlines at 21 and have been getting the same attitude from older guys for 10 years. still do at NJ sometimes. H.ell I still get guys asking me if I'm am ok flying passengers. And I've been here 2 years. (I feel like asking them, when they upgraded in initial, if they waited 2 years to fly pax even though they were a captain.)

I'd say try Compass if ya can get on, take the 3 yr. LOA but definitely don't consider staying at a regional and quitting NJ. That IMHO would be the worst career decision possible. Because before ya know it you'll be flying with younger guys and they'll be saying the same thing about you. But it would be nice to be making well into 6 figures and retire with a few million. Which is what will happen givin your age and earning potential at NJ.

I just don't see it being a better move for the long term. Now SWA might be a different story, plus those guys love to party their a.ss off.. And you'd probably have a good chance with quite a few FA's every year..

Do what I do, have a beer with the old guy at the hotel, after 2 beers when he says he's done pretend like your going to your room too, but then head out to a real bar.

Well, you're right about part of that. I am in my 20s and single. The advantage of taking the 3 year LOA they're offering is that you lock in $1,000 a month and free health insurance for 3 years, and even if your number comes up for furlough, you keep that. If I stay and gamble on not getting furloughed and end up getting furloughed, I get nothing but unemployment and start a job search with that many more competitors out there. That's basically my logic.

Oh, and by the way, I'm kind of worn out on flying with 60-70 year olds. Literally. It would be a nice break to go rejoin my own age group for a few years. I was at CHQ before. I don't miss their pay, benefits, and Bedford's religious memos...but I miss the people I worked with.

I believe the health bennies are 100% free or will offset the difference of another provider that someone else provides. That's unless you decline the coverage at another company. Either way, playing the system can sometimes turn and bite ya in the azz. Play with caution.

Latest resources

Back