• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass Interview Prep?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recently took the interview at Compass and found it as straight forward as advertised. Since there wasn’t much of a gouge when I interviewed I thought I might be able to help with this post (also posted on willflyforfood).

Some things I learned: they’re going to have “electronic flight bags.” They’re not going to have the HUDs as previously advertised. There are rumors that the time required to flow through might be lowered.

The 727 sim was as advertised: basic airwork and a hold entry – no ILS (so much for all that practice).

The ATP written is also as advertised: the most obscure questions they could find. There were typos – I’m not sure, but I think they use a static question bank of only 75 questions.

To prep for the interview I practiced hand-flying ILSs on the line, read as many forums as I could, practiced the ATP written and called everyone I knew who interviewed there (I know three guys that were offered the job – two that accepted it). (BTW, that was one of the questions: how did you prepare for the interview?)

The HR interview was also as advertised, two retired northwest pilots and the HR consultant. All three were good people. There were no technical questions.

I now submit to you the following bank of questions I compiled to prep for the HR portion of the interview: (I found that answering these questions put me in the right mindset to take the interview)

Tell me about a time when you had a conflict in the cockpit, and how did you resolve it?

How would you handle a situation where the FO was not adhering to SOP and when you said something he ignored you?

Tell me about an emergency you’ve had.

Have you ever broken a regulation?

Have you deviated from company policy before?

What are some strengths that are not on your resume? Tell us something about yourself that is not on your resume.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests?

In your opinion, what is the best flying job?

Where else have you applied?

How do you see the rest of your career laid out?

What do you think makes a good airline?

Tell me what you like about the place you work now?

What do you not like about where you work?

Are there any parts of your job that you don’t like?

Why do you want to work for us?

Tell us what you know about the E175.

Tell us about a time you’ve done something for a customer that you weren’t thanked for?

When have you had a customer problem? How did you resolve it?

Have you ever been angry at an FO? Have you ever yelled at one?

Many of these questions were on the HR interview. Here are a few specific questions I remember:

Let’s say you had a lazy FO and after boarding you suspect that he didn’t preflight the aircraft (the aircraft just came in from a trip). When you ask him he confirms that he didn’t do it. What would you do?

What is the emergency procedure for smoke in the cockpit? What would you do in a serious smoke situation? What would be the minimum runway length you would consider if you had a serious enough fire? (I said that with enough smoke even a highway starts to look great option)

What would you look for in a flight attendant?

How do you use your checklist? Your FO doesn’t use his checklist. What do you do?

What do you do to prevent complacency?

If you lost your medical, what would you do?

A big thanks to my friends who gave advice as well as anyone who ever posted anything on the compass interview!

Latest resources

Back