Comparison between Fractionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Netjets

Here is my attempt at answering your queries...all subject to change with "The Contract" but this is how it has been for my three years...

1 - 26 (I think) Gateway cities you can choose from. Must be within 3 hours or 100 miles on Day 1 of tour.

2 - Dreaded Deadheading (Biggest downer) Being a west coaster I usually start with a short airline out west somewhere to meet a plane (not always) but almost always end up on the east coast with a marathon last day airlining home. Good part of this is the Airline miles add up quick, as well as FF status which equals free upgrades.

3 - Time off. 7 on 7 off for 50% of each fleet by seniority and bidding. Sunday thru Saturday or Tuesday thru Monday. Tuesday start is the most popular. It is bid quarterly so you can change start dates each quarter if you want, or time it to get 2 weeks off every quarter change. Sweet! And vacation is 2 weeks per year which equals 6 weeks for the 7n7 guys. Others get the 17 day schedule, usually 2 - 6 day trips and a 5 day trip. Can also bid flex schedule to work 19 days per month at the company's whim with only 4 hard days off, haven't tried that yet but it pays more.

4 - Upgrade time. Pretty slow for a while now, but just started seeing trickle of bids coming out recently and expecting a lot more.

5 - Pay. Sucks right now.

6 - Attitude. Suprisingly good considering long negotiations, I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel mentality right now though (But I think it is the train coming) You either love this type of flying or hate it. No idea where you will end up and for how long. Schedule changes constantly, sometimes en route. Takes a very flexible person to stay at this.

7 - Favorites. I like the variety of locations, and the lack of major hub airports we have to fly into. We get into them now and then, but not like the majors. I have seen enough of that in my previous life. Give me a small uncontrolled strip in mountains anyday!

Pay scale estimate

Minimum captain pay to start is $51,996, maximum for large cabin is $114,396, plus per diem ($9100 annually), check airman $9600 annually.

Small cabin (KA, CJ, BJ, Cit 2/5):

1st: 4333 month
7th: 6125
15th: 7325

Mid-Size (Hawkers, Cit 3)

1st: 5175 month
7th: 6125
15th: 7325

Large Cabin (Challenger,Falcon, Legacy (not sure if legacy fits here or not)

1st: 6250
7th: 7050
15th: 8050

Large Cabin (Gulfstream):

1st: 8333
7th: 8733
15th: 9533

Nice little details about FO

Some little things that make things a little easier that haven't been mentioned yet.

If you are working you aren't buying meals. Usually they schedule crew meals with the catering automatically if you fly anywhere close to meal-time. If they don't you can call and if it's less than like 2 hours or so between flights they'll go ahead and order you meals. Dispatch is real good about this and I've never seen them say no when we asked. I've done whole tours where I've never bought a meal. Makes per-diem go a lot farther.

Also you are expected to tip and can expense it all. That means that you don't have to worry about tipping the van drivers or line guys. The company looks at it as an investment for good service so it's another thing you don't end up spending your own money for.

They put us up at pretty nice hotels most of the time. It seems all the hilton properties are the first choice of they are available (I went from zero to Diamond on my hilton honors in about eight months). Occasionally you'll even get a night in an awesome resort when other hotels are full.

Quick question, would they hire into the large and/or mid cabin airplanes with a type and pic time in type?

I've met NJA FOs who started in the Falcon 2000. And of course, those lucky enough to fly with NJI start as FO in the GIV and GV. Personally, I would love to start in the Sovereign - looks like a great ride...

New hires

Everyone starts in the small cabins.

This is the general rule, however, as of a year ago, I have a friend who was hired into the hawker xp, he was originally offered a beechjet position, but when the "need" of the company was for the hawker, there he went.

Let's not think that both companies buy you food out of the goodness of their hearts.

NJA has a policy. We get crewfood anytime. My mealtime is different from yours. We order what we want no pre packaged food.

The company learned a long time ago that if pilots just start going off for lunch and come back like 2hrs later they are going to lose a ton of money.

capt_zman said:
Quick question, would they hire into the large and/or mid cabin airplanes with a type and pic time in type?

Mid cabin, possibly. Not likely, but possibly. Only if there are openings and nobody has bid those positions. Large cabin - not a chance. Chances are 99% that you would start in a KA200, BE400, CE525, or CE550 - regardless of experience.

Latest resources

Back