Commuting in the post 9/11 world

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hangar7guy

How difficult is it to commute these days, what with all the new security measures? I'm thinking of applying to either ACA or Comair and I'd like to keep my home (located somewhere in New York state), but from the sounds of it, commuting must be a hassle.

Anyone have any thoughts, tips or commuting experiences to share? Thanks.

I commute, and plan to do so for the forseeable future. The biggest gripe of mine is no off-line jumpseats. If the cabin is full, you have to result to plan B or C. Some tips:
  • Commute in uniform - it helps get you through security since you don't have a ticket.
  • Find the terminals with "employees only" lines; that way you don't have to stand there with the huddled masses.
  • Try to avoid United. They strip search you in front of all the passengers.
  • Subscribe to the American Express Sky Guide or Official Airline Guide (OAG). These monthly publications show timetables for all airlines. It helps you plan your commute as well as back up plans.
  • Don't get brave and try to commute in on the last flight of the day. Get a crashpad or find commuter hotels near the airport and come in early. To me, saving an extra half day getting is not worth getting a miss trip on my record.
  • Buy an ID-90 on the airline you use to commute on most. It'll come in handy when another pilot beats you to the jumpseat.

These are just a few of the things I do. I'm sure others can add their tips. Good luck!

Hi ,I commute out of LGA to STL and it hasn't been a problem. The flight loads have not been to capacity, so there is usually plenty of seats available. If someone beats me to the "jumpseat", I have travel passes that I can use. Just give yourself an out if you need it. Security has not been too bad either.

It's a little tougher, but still doable. I would suggest you pick an airline that flies to your home, and you should be able to swing it. I even know some flight attendants that commute, but not as many. It's tougher to commute, as I even sweat the ride home when I visit relatives. You might consider moving. Just a suggestion.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Prop Trash, you just made me think of another question: What are commuter hotels like? Are they semi-decent ones like the LaQuinta or Holiday Inn Express chains, or are they real dumps? ;-) And what kind of discount off rack rates do crews get?

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back