Commuting from Wichita to Chicago???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

d.fitz

Anyone going from Wichita, KS into the chicago area.

Just wondering how easy the commute will be if I am working with chicago express and have to commute on another airline...

Borrow a copy of Skyguide.

It's a must have if you are going to be a regular commuter. When I was commuting it was a lifesaver. If you aren't familiar with it, it is a monthly magazine that lists every airport in the country and the times/airlines/equipment of every scheduled flight in and out of those airports. No more guessing and it helps you find alternate ways in and out of cities you have to jumpseat to. Saves tons of time.

I don't have to commute anymore so I no longer have a subscription (and can't find any of my old issues) so I can't help you with what flys out of ICT to Chicago. Maybe someone else can look it up for you.

d.fitz,

Airtran used to fly a couple 717s from ICT to MDW, which would have made your commute easier. But, they have cancelled those. I believe ACA (UAexpress) flies it now to ORD, but that might change when they switch to Independance. I still think someone for UA will fly it. Get that Skyguide.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

I looked up the flights - thats not a problem. I just wanted to know how busy that route is, if anyone knows, and how hard it is to commute on another airline.

I know some cities are far worse than others for commuting...

you shouldn't have a big problem commuting to chicago. At Express we have lots of commuters, so it doesn't seem like they have any huge problems getting to work. When you start at chicago Express check out the commuting cluase, I'm not to familair with it since I don't have to communte, but I do know we have one. BTW, when are you starting at C8?
Anthony

That cool!

To answer the other question, I dont have an interview yet. I met Katie from HR and she said to expect a call in January - so that seemed like I would have an interview... never can tell though. I dont know anyone there so I dont have any internal letters of rec...

It sounds like a fun place! Just trying to get some advance info. Thanks for the help!

The problem is that ICT is a tough city to get in and out of. I grew up there a go home occasionally and almost everytime I have a hard time. I'm coming from MKE so I don't alway go threw ORD and have gone almost every route. Just like your future situation I can't sit in anybodys cockpit jumpseat, so there must be a open seat in the cabin. It's been very difficult everytime a do it. Loads have been very high ever since AA pulled out the MD-80's. Please don't let me scare you off from the job, I just thought you should know that the loads are very high. I SWA guy was going to ICT on the same flight that I was jumping on last time that I was going down and he said that he's been doing the commute for 16 years and its never been easy.

Good luck! Any commute is possible if you give yourself enought time.

Kansan

It wont scare me off from the job - it will just make me move to Orlando which I want to do anyway :)

That just means the wife will have to find a new job in Florida!

Commuting on ATA out of MCO shouldnt be a problem, right ?

no it shouldnt, even though many mainliners from ATA do come from Orlando, since that once was a base. But you have choices to either Midway or Indy. that really should be an easy commute. ecspecially since its our own flights not another airline.
anthony

Any other ideas on how to ensure an interview? My plan is to just keep in touch with Katie - she gave me her business card and told me to call.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back