• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting? From someone who know nothing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only tactical advice I can provide is get to the gate early. I do a relatively easy commute that has a lot of commuters. I show up to the gate at least an hour early if the loads aren't promising. After I sign up for the JS, I watch others filter in, some within minutes of closing out the flight all expecting to get the JS.

Hahaha
You said "tactical"
;);)$$$

Everyone has a different situation. For several years I lived in base in a city I didn't like and for the last 12 years I've been living in a place I love and have had to commute.
The way I look at it is much as commuting can be a pain in the ass, it's a small price to pay to live where I love being.

Commuting sucks...driving is better if it's an option. Get some music, audio books whatever.

You are also assuming that you will get Chicago right off the bat. The airlines that I know with bases in Chicago have junior bases closer to NYC, which turns your hypothetical into a two-legger which automatically puts the commute into the super-suckage category.

I commute CMH-JFK/LGA. It's an absolute breeze as long as NY isn't going to hell due to wx. You just need to plan ahead a little and figure out how to commute well. I have spoken with many CMH-MDW Southwest commuters. They find it to be a breeze as well. Good part about the CMH-MDW/ORD commute is you gain an hour. So a 6AM flight gets you in Chicago at 6:05am. So those guys say any show after 6:30am is commutable. You get a little screwed coming home but overall I would say CMH-Chicago is easy. I hear very different things from CLE and CVG guys. So I guess it depends what large airport you will commute out of Ohio and if you go to MDW or ORD

I lived in base for 7 years and hated every minute that I lived there. I have been commuting for 8 years now and I still don't hate it. There is nothing worse than living some place that you don't like.

Hello,

Thanks for clicking through. I am thinking of applying to some major airlines that would require me to commute from Ohio to Chicago. About an hour flight with lots of direct airline service thoughout the day. I could also drive in about 6 hours.

Would commuting this far even be worth it long term?

Thanks!

This scenario is very reasonable. One leg, less than two hour flight, multiple flights with backup. If some of the flights are online (the airline that hires you) that's even better. This kind of commute doesn't involve any creative scheduling/bidding, unlike commuting from overseas or maybe even transcon. I say it's a no brainer. Consider moving only after you have been with your airline a while and have an idea of their strategic plan. Yeah, it changes. But sometimes the writing is on the wall. Good luck. I enjoy living in base, but won't bat an eye to a short range commute for upgrade. I did DFW-ATL for years online and it was very reasonable. It later became two legs online or 1 leg offline and then it was not as great but doable. Really made me appreciate the convenience of 1 leg, online commuting!

Last edited:
I lived in base for 7 years and hated every minute that I lived there. I have been commuting for 8 years now and I still don't hate it. There is nothing worse than living some place that you don't like.

There is not one American base that you like?

It's not like you're the old air tran with one domicile- lot of choice there.

To each their own- glad you've found a great spot

Latest resources

Back