• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting? From someone who know nothing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a commute that was similar to what you describe. My experience was that with that distance, it was usually better to drive.

Why - say your trip completes at 1430 but the first available flight home isn't until 1730. Throw a couple of commuters into the mix vying for the same flight and now you might be waiting for a couple of more hours. You could potentially be home before setting foot on your commute flight. This, of course, varies with your schedule and the level of service to your home airport. The same would apply for the commute to work. Set the drive up so you get to work around show time instead of having to commute in several hours early or even the night before. The ability to make the drive give you an extra option.

Anyway you slice it though commuting sucks. If you have other aviation options at home that mesh with your long term goals, they should warrant serious consideration.

I could try corporate or netjets but the pay is vastly different. I'll stick with trying to get on with a really good part91 operation or a dtw domicile airline. Thanks!

I could try corporate or netjets but the pay is vastly different. I'll stick with trying to get on with a really good part91 operation or a dtw domicile airline. Thanks!

Don't get discouraged though. Commuting sucks however I do it because I love where I live. To me, its worth it. Everyone's different.

If only it were that easy. Those who have been in the business long enough will experience furloughs, bankruptcies, base closures...All of which would necessitate a move if you insist upon living in base. Some pilots are divorced and commute so they can live where they can see their kids more frequently. Some have spouses who work and whose careers are not as portable. Some simply can't afford to live in domicile. And some have watched bases closes so many times they got tired of chasing them.

If you can live in base great, but if not there is a large community of commuters that try to help each other out. Best thing you can do is take a walk up the jetway before push, make sure no Jumpseaters are trying to get on and getting the stiff arm from the gate agent. If they are, help them out, they're just trying to get home or to work.

Oh I've had to commute, and life happens. I don't tend to understand the people that continually choose it though. But no truer words spoken- everyone's different. I have a business and a home life I love- and haven't done more than a two day in 3 years -
Others may have the same great home life and just aren't bothered by a commute as much as me-

A big plus one ! On furloughed again's walk up the jetway 5-10 prior!
As an FO, I still do this and even at SwA where it doesn't happen much, I've caught more commuters and travelers getting the stiff arm than you might think-

It is huge.
Well said

Overall, I think the gate agents at SWA are pretty good. I've commuted on SWA for years and still haven't met any problems. And even before I worked here, the crews were all friendly and pro-active to get me aboard.

Actually, I've had good luck with Delta, too.

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged though. Commuting sucks however I do it because I love where I live. To me, its worth it. Everyone's different.

United has a very good commuting policy so I don't sweat getting to work anymore. With that said, yes living in base is a whole lot easier. I've commuted almost all of my career because I like where I live. Hasn't dampened my love for my job.

I'm a current commuter, and have done so off and on for the past 10 years. I recently transitioned to a major from the regionals and am no longer based where I live. While I absolutely love my new job, the commute has taken a toll. As a regional captain on reserve in base, I spent so much more time at home and my stress level was zero.

Take into account being on probation with a new airline and realize you'll have to be much more conservative for a while, which means more time away from home trying to get to work. The moral of the story? I love where I live, but I will be moving this year so I will (hopefully) never have to commute again.

I commuted on airplanes for 10 years, and have been driving 3 hours for the last 13+.

While both definitely suck, I'll take the drive over the jumpseat dance any day of the week.

I live in what many people consider a very desirable place, and it's not worth the commute, even the 3 hour drive.

If you can live with an giving an extra 4, potentially high stress days per month or so to your job for no pay, then go for it. If you're even questioning it, move to within a reasonable drive (not 3 hours!) to a base.

All that said, all of this advice is for when you get a long term job, like a major. There are other variables too, like quality of the job (regional vs. major) marital status, kids, home ownership etc. that fall into the decision matrix.

For example:

A single guy, renting an apartment, would be insane to commute for a regional gig.

The same guy, with a wife and family, living in his own home would be insane to move for a regional gig.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back