Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EngineOut

Time to Make the Donuts!
I've been hired by a regional and I've moved to Oregon. My domicile isn't going to be in Oregon.

To which state do I pay income tax? The one where I am domiciled, where I live, or where the company is based?

Thanks.

On a related note, I'm domicilied in CO, but live in MN. My airline does not fly to MN so payroll tells me that they cannot deduct MN state income tax from my paycheck... any ideas?

I would think it doesnt matter. At TSA we had guys living all over the place and still had taxes taken out. They had state tax forms for every state in the country.

rjacobs said:
I would think it doesnt matter. At TSA we had guys living all over the place and still had taxes taken out. They had state tax forms for every state in the country.
Well that blows, they're probably just feeding me a line of BS and just don't want to deal with it.

mavdog said:
On a related note, I'm domicilied in CO, but live in MN. My airline does not fly to MN so payroll tells me that they cannot deduct MN state income tax from my paycheck... any ideas?

I had this problem at my last job too...I had to pay state income tax on my own...you gotta love regionals

Regions Air does the same thing!

mavdog said:

The cheap azz regional that I used to work for pulled the same crap, then tried to steal MO taxes from my paycheck without me having filled out the state's W-2 form, when I lived somewhere else. They in fact had done it before, but when they were forced to close the bases in my home state they quit withholding there as a cost cutting measure.

Technically they could withhold the MN taxes, but they would have to buy the tax program, set it up with the state yada, yada. They are just being too cheep and lazy to do that. It's much easier to dump that paperchase on you.
It comes down to the level of competance and cooperativeness of your HR and/or payroll departments and the people that pull those strings.

What you need to do is figure out what your annual taxes are in your home state and send in quarterly estimated payments.

And make sure they aren't withholding for CO-getting that back would be a real biach!

Regionals pretty much suck...

Guys-what your companys are doing is illegal if you spend less than one third of your flight time in GA (for instance) and you do not live there. I don't know the websites but there is information out there. If you are involved in interstate commerce a whole new set of rules comes into play. With all the big DAL checks that used to be cut GA might try to get around the law but you are dealing with federal preemption. It's a legaleese nightmare but it comes down to that one third part. If you don't spend one third of your commercial flight time in GA they are not entitled to that tax revenue.

Think about it-what if you had to pay income taxes on that portion of your check that was earned while flying over each state that collects income tax?
You need to get with your union and your tax guy and get that straightened out ASAP. Once that money gets to them it becomes a regal, Titanic sized hemmeroid to get it back!

Dig in, put on your helmet and flack jacket and fight. That's your money, not theirs! It's not a new fight and it has been one before.

Last edited:
Pay your state taxes to the place where your permanent address is located. If your airline doesn't have any ground ops in that state, then YOU need to set up quarterly payments with your state taxation department.

Latest resources

Back